What's new

A 1950s Soda Fountain Treat Returns (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
As a kid growing up in New York City during the 50s one of my favorite drinks was a Vanilla Coke. You couldn't get it in bottles so the only place was the local candy store soda fountain. Well, beginning May 15 you can get it at your local supermarket. Can't wait.
2002-05-08-vanilla-coke4.gif

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Won't taste the same. Just like a bottled Cherry Coke can't match the taste of one made at the fountain.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Growing up, there was a burger joint that served actual mixed-syrup cokes. Cherry Coke was Coke with cherry syrup. yummy :)
A few fun combinations:
Cherry Coke
Vanilla Sprite
Chocolate Cherry Root-beer
I'll give the Vanilla Coke a whirl when it reaches the local stores.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
There's still plenty of places around here to get fountain drinks. There's a few diners that serve soft drinks mixed with cherry, lemon, vanilla or chocolate syrups. And if you get the cherry syrup, they also throw in 10 or 12 maraschino cherries.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The Cherry Coke (and Lemon Coke) are disappointing to me as well. I hope this will be better. Should taste like a very rich Cream Soda.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm going to love this stuff...and I finally (hopefully)will have found a replacement for Coca Cola Classic - once Vanilla Coke hits the stands.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or has there always been next to no cherry flavor in Cherry Coke? I've always been disappointed in it but still drink it a lot because there's not much better stuff out there.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
This will definetely be on my list to try. I love Cherry Coke, though will take it made from the fountain any day (Sonic is a good place for "interesting" drinks). I love lemon in my Coke and lime in my Dr. Pepper. I want to know, though, why lemon Coke is only available as a diet drink? I'm allergic to the artificial sweetener so I haven't been able to try it.

Is Cherry Coke not too popular? AFAIK, Wendy's is the only place where you can get Cherry coke outside of purchasing it yourself at a grocery or convenience type store.

Blue Pepsi?? Very interesting, though I won't touch the stuff (or any other Pepsi flavor product) with a 10ft pole. Clear Pepsi was bad enough. . .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find Wild Cherry Pepsi has more cherry flavor than Cherry Coke. Haven't tried the Lemon Pepsi (regular or diet), though (don't really like lemon in any drink except for lemonade).
From the linked "Blue Pepsi" article above:
...the majority of teenagers polled said they would like to see a berry-flavored cola with a blue color.
Anyone think they were making this up just to mess with the minds of the Pepsi marketing folks? Can't imagine teenagers sitting around thinking, "Gee, you know what'd be great? Blue-Berry Cola!!" :D

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I agree that Wild Cherry Pepsi has much more cherry flavoring than Cherry Coke. What pisses me off is that I drink Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi and it's only available here in 2-liter bottles. I hate those damned things. They get flat too quickly. As for Lemon Pepsi...it has a disgusting aftertaste that reminds me of Tab. :eek:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
damn, you guys bitchin about how much better a fountain is, need to set your own up and quit yer bitchin :)
the parts can be found used on ebay...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't need a damned thing off eBay. Give me the pop (and it is POP!) and a jar of maraschino cherries and I'm a happy camper.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
head down to your local coke or pepsi bottler and buy a 5 gallon box of syrup and knock yerself out. Runs about 45-50$ a box.

R

RossTerry

speaking of exotic sodas, anyone ever had a Big Red?

its my favorite soda, available mainly in Texas and a few other areas around the south

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yup, we have Big Red down here too (when I lived in Las Cruces especially). Its got an interesting flavor, but its fairly popular nonetheless.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think you can get Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke, mixed the old fashioned way, at Steak & Shake. I think I'll give the canned Vanilla Coke a try. But they probably should have come up with a more distinctive logo and color design to get people's attention.

Crystal Pepsi had an interesting flavor, but it didn't taste anything like Pepsi, or anything else for that matter, before and after they squirted lemon in it. Heads must have rolled at Pepsi's market research department for that stinker. But if it wasn't for Crystal Pepsi, we wouldn't have had the "Crystal Gravy" commercial parody on Saturday Night Live, complete with Van Hagar music.

Now they've got a cherry-flavored Mountain Dew called "Code Red", and I think it's pretty good, but it's about what you expect: Mountain Dew with a little bit of cherry flavor.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Dispite the fact that I work for Pepsico I have the Vanilla Coke launch date circled on my calender. New flavors can be fun (got a fridge full of Code Red Dew) but this Blue Pepsi doesn't sound like a very good idea. I could be wrong, mabye it will turn out to be the greatest thing since, well, Vanilla Coke :) but a few months after its released I don't think Blue will be a hit. Sounds like one of those drinks that gets stale alongside Orange AllSport and Storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks