What's new

_Wonder Boys_: need clarification re DVD. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've owned my copy of the DVD edition of Curtis Hanson's Wonder Boys ever since it was released. But I only got around to screening it two or three weeks ago. That is, I was going to screen it until I saw a pre-credit screen informing me that the presentation I was about to see had been "edited for content."

Pardon me?

It has been years since I ordered the disc, but I would not have spent money on a DVD containing an edited-for-content film. I also hit "Stop" when I saw the "edited-for-content" line and put the disc back into its case.

Thinking that a return to the online store from whom I purchased the disc might clarify matters, I instead learned that the film is about to be rereleased on DVD at a bargain-basement price. Nowhere in the descriptive copy was there any information regarding separate versions of the film.

So, can anyone here kindly explain what the deal is with the DVD edition I purchased? (The box art indicates an R rating, by the way.)

Thanks.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jack:

A line of dialogue in the film - erroneously claiming Alan Ladd's death a suicide - was deleted just after the initial theatrical release. This was done with the consent of the director and no other version of the film contains the line.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I saw the film in the theater and on DVD. The removal of the line has no impact on the film. If not for the disclaimer, you wouldn't know there'd been a change.

(And in response to Walter's question below, yes, it was the Alan Ladd reference.)

M.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
IMDB Alternate Versions

Not sure how accurate this information is, since it is the IMDB. But perhaps this is why. Not certain about the language changes, but the reference to Alan Ladd seems familiar if I am recalling the previous HTF discussions correctly.

Edit: Guess everyone was all over this one. Never underestimate the power of the esteemed Mr. Briggs to generate responses. :)

- Walter.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
One line in the movie was changed.

A character in the movie was naming off a number of actors and actresses who had committed suicide, and one of the names mentioned was Alan Ladd. The name was removed from all versions of the movie at the request of Ladd's family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks