What's new

_Unbreakable_ DVD: Am I missing something? (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"I think the concept is more interesting than the execution."
That's exactly how I feel about this movie. I also just saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and while I appreciated what it was trying to do, I felt I really missed something. Then I watched disc 2 and discovered exactly what it was I was missing... the missing scenes!
The DVD of Unbreakable is a major study in miscalculation. I strongly feel that most of the cut scenes should have been left in. The director explains that, for example, the shot of Bruce Willis crying in the shower was cut because it was "too much emotion that early in the film..." Well, that's exactly what the movie needs, something more than just people walking around in a coma for the first 35 minutes. Also, the conversation with the priest was cut for no good reason at all. That dialogue would have given the movie much more depth.
So, although I loved certain production aspects of the movie, I still feel like I don't get it. And I'm one who usually does go for "weird" movies everybody else doesn't get...

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Quoting Patrick:
"Would it be fair to say that Shyamalan makes films that are the antithesis to films produced by Bruckheimer? "
Hehehehe... You had me rolling with this comment! Yeah, I think that's very fair to say, but then I've liked everything I've seen from the former and very nearly have loathed everything from the latter.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth, and each director has his fans. I'm solidly in the Shyamalan camp, needless to say.
I admire the deliberate pace of "Unbreakable," and I do not think it drags anywhere. As a matter of fact, I would advocate slowing things a bit more by including some of the deleted scenes to be found on the second disc -- especially the amusement park scene and the scene with Willis in the shower. They would both add meaningful things to the picture, in my view.
About the best thing I can say about any movie is that when it's over I wish it was still playing. That's the way I felt at the end of this one, and I would love to see a sequel with these two characters.
Your mileage may vary.
------------------
Mike Brantley
Our Theater:
Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I would have have like to have the cut scenes integrated back into the movie because they do add some grit to the film (especially Dunn's scene in the shower and the conversation with the priest - which heightens the stakes for Dunn's survival even more, even lil' Elijah's amusement ride was bonecrushingly powerful - Shyamalan was able to convince me that Elijah has this horrible genetic defect and when Elijah falls down the subway steps, ouch!).
And don't hold it against me, but I'm also from Mobile (did my schooling there from 1st to 12th grade). :)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I know it was cool to say that "you saw the ending of Sixth Sense coming" and frankly I didn't see it coming back in 99' but with Unbreakable I swear to you guys that I saw it coming at least 40 min before the end,
Spoiler:it's about a super hero awakening....what's missing?
I have for sometime chuckled at you guys who buy a DVD without having seen the film prior to forking over the cash and then you bitch when you didn't like it.....well I guess that has been said enough in this thread but nontheless.....RENT (where applicable).
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Everything about this disc is great save for the film itself. Loved the DTS, reference caliber. I did love 6th Sense, though.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

BrentK

Auditioning
I like the DVD very much. I'd have to say that it ranks as one of my favorites. As for the movie...I thought it was a great concept, and for me, the story was very intriguing and well told. I would love to see a sequel to it...although..I don't think it could be as good as the original since the story of how Willis' character realized and became what he is has been told...and that is the concept that makes this movie stand alone amongst 'super-heroe' movies.

Users who are viewing this thread