_The Verdict_ ANNOUNCED: Fox Comes Through Again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The 1982 masterpiece, The Verdict, which contains Paul Newman's finest-ever performance, has been announced. And Bill Hunt, in his "DVD Fact and Rumor" column for Widescreen Review, has mentioned an early 2002 release date.

Let us hope the elements from which the Fox team have worked were in good shape. This superb film deserves the best-possible transfer.

And those of you who are Zardoz fans: Charlotte Rampling ("Consuella") co-stars opposite Newman in a strong performance.

Thank you, Fox Home Entertainment, as well as the Senior VP of Marketing for same (he knows who he is). You've done it again.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Jack,

I share your enthusiasm for this excellent movie. I am sure that Fox will do it right and their recent releases are outstanding.

I wish you had phrased your title differently, however. It makes it sound like you had a review or had seen results.

Anyway, thanks for heads up.

Lee

3. TonyG

TonyG Auditioning

Woo Hoo! I've been looking forward to this film being released on DVD for over 3 years. Are there any updates on the release date or technical aspects of The Verdict DVD?

4. Rain

Rain Producer

I've been waiting years for an acceptable presentation of this film so that I can finally see it. I heard about the DVD a while ago and I'm quite excited. I'm also confident that Fox will do a bang-up job of it.
    Also nice to know this one gets the Jack Briggs Seal of Approval. [​IMG]

5. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Didn't the widescreen laserdisc get recalled a few years ago because it had some scenes missing?

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Sorry for the lame 'me too' post, but...

I share the sentiments already expressed in this thread. The film features a great performance from Paul Newman and is one of the titles that I've been patiently waiting for, since it was first rumored. I'm very happy to hear that it has been announced.

- Walter.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'll chime in with another "lame me-too post", voicing my enthusiam for this film and hoping for a great edition!
    PS - Thanks!! [​IMG]

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Supposedly The Hustler & Hombre are coming out with the Vedict too.
    3 great Newman films, I hope this turns out to be true.

10. TonyG

TonyG Auditioning

I remember walking through Circuit City a couple of years ago and seeing The Verdict "DVD" on display. I grabbed the disk and headed for the counter. While waiting in line I read the cover and found out it was the DIVX version [​IMG] That was the day I stopped thinking DIVX was dumb to actively participating in killing it. [​IMG]
    I'm sure the prior 5" inch version was pure crap. Now that the DVD is in the works, I can laugh about it. Whenever someone gets a date for the release, please get us the 411.