_The Day After_: Didn't I read here at HTF it's coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nicholas Meyers's 1983 made-for-television epic about nuclear holocaust is a serviceable effort--even though, as with The Wizard of Oz after the tornado scene, I lose interest in the story after the nukes fall.

But I'd love to have this relic of Cold War hysteria on DVD. Thing is, I thought I read here that the title had been committed to the silver disc.

Anybody else know about this, or was I hallucinating?

Thanks.

2. John McDevitt

I'm pretty sure Anchor Bay is releasing it next year. Hopefully it will have a commentary with Nicholas Meyer and some other extras.

3. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

Achor Bay is releasing it in 2003. The now-oop laserdisc had a Meyer's commentary, so we'll probably get it (but, dear god, did it suck. Longest silent places I've ever heard. Sounded like he hadn't seen the movie in 15 years). We'll also probably get the extended international cut (extended by about 5 minutes). It will also be in Widescreen, since the movie had a ratio of about 1.77:1, which was heavily re-framed for TV and Video (really. seeing it in widescreen changes a LOT of things, all for the better).

I was also the guy who first broke the news here. :b

4. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

has anybody here ever seen the 3 hour version? From the IMDb text, it doesn't exactly say if it was ever aired at all.

So far, I've seen the 126 (TV), the 120 (UK-Video) and a 98 min. (TV again) version!

Chris

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I have a version from Brazil. It is serviceable, but I'd prefer a better version.