_Robinson Crusoe on Mars_, _Destination Moon_ screening at The Egyptian Theatre

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

American Cinemateque is sponsoring a new film series celebrating the Technicolor dye-transfer process, with the new prints being screened at Hollywood's The Egyptian Theatre (where 2001 recently enjoyed a two-week 70mm run). First up: Destination Moon, George Pal's imagining of the first manned voyage to the Moon (very loosely based on Robert A. Heinlein's goofy juvenile novel, Rocketship Galileo, as well as featuring a script by SF's "grand master") and the lovely, charming 1964 adventure romp, Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

We have a decent transfer of Moon on DVD (though it was sourced from a damaged element--and it shows), but, unfortunately, Mars is not yet available.

Therefore, this double-feature--on Saturday, Feb. 9--looks like another cinema event worthy of dragging some of us out of our home theaters.

Consider this post FYI to SoCal area film buffs. These are all-new prints. I think I might be going.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    How I wish I lived in SoCal for this event! I'd see every show they run.

FYI, these are actually all vintage IB Technicolor prints, including some ultra-rare nitrate films, and not newly-struck prints. Some have even come from the hands of private collectors (with the studios' blessings). There's been a lot of talk about this event over at the 35mmforum.com, appararently they sold out all of this past weekend's shows of Black Narcissus and the James Bond double bill, so GET THERE EARLY!

I'm jealous beyind words...

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Oooh I'd love to see the Techniscoped 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars' in Big Wide Screen Jack, sniff sniff, hopefully this movie will appear on dvd sometime this year, Channel 4 showed it slightly in widescreen a few years ago, but not good enough, its a great little movie, far preferable in my opinion to the recent Red Planet, Mission to Mars and dare I mention it, Ghosts of Mars.
    ps. I remember seeing the still fantastic 'War of the Worlds' (1953) at a West End cinema in the early 80's on a double bill with 'It Came From Outer Space' (1953) which was shown in 3D!!A memorable SF classic night out at the pictures.[​IMG]

4. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

This is somewhat off-topic, but while we're discussing The Egyptian, I thought I'd ask...

I was there last weekend for their John Carpenter series and was uniformly impressed with the quality of the prints they were able to obtain. Really nice stuff.

What I didn't understand was why so much of the beautiful interior of that theater was covered up? I assume what's covering the walls and ceiling is some kind of acoustic treatment. Am I right in that thought, and if so, is there a reason they didn't opt for a less obtrusive method of getting the job done? Also, what was up with the lobby?

Don't get me wrong - really nice theater. I was just hoping to be able to see more of the original work.

Thanks!

5. Jack Briggs

I'm not sure. The theater has been undergoing restoration for some time, and, so, it's probably still a work in progress. When I was last there a few weeks ago, my eyes were solidly focused on the film itself, with single-minded narrowness! [​IMG]

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Chauncey, I didn't notice any coverings or unfinished work inside the theater when I saw 2001 there.

Could someone tell me where is the cheapest place to park around there?

Since we are on the topic of SF movies, I highly recommend that you also stop by the Mann Chinese 6 Theaters nearby to watch the anime Metropolis.

Jack, congrats on the new title.

~T

7. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I don't mean to hijack this thread with Egyptian questions, really! [​IMG]
    The coverings I'm talking about are the apparently new patterned metal walls that cover the original stone walls of the main theater. These "new", secondary walls have a pattern of slits and holes in them that reveal a black, insulation-type material. At the top of these new walls are ventilation ducts. This same material also covers the ceiling forward of the elaborate Egyptian insignia. If you go out to the lobby via the sides of the auditorium, you can see the original stone walls.
    As far as the lobby, it appeared to have a small screening-room sized theater placed in it. There is a ramp leading down to this theater. The small theater is directly across from the restrooms, with two statues of Anubis looking over the ramp.
    I'm just curious if anyone knows the story behind these things, and if I'm correct in assuming that they are not original to the theater. They certainly don't appear that way.
    All of this aside, I really enjoyed the theater. The screen presentation was fantastic. I have no complaints, just questions!
    Thanks!

8. Jack Briggs

Well, the deal is this: American Cinemateque is using this venue as its official site of operations. The organization, dedicated to film education, has several different programs running throughout the year, including retrospectives of various directors' careers and such. More than one screening room is required, therefore.

Until American Cinemateque took up residence, The Egyptian had been closed for the longest time.

Thi: Thanks, bro'.

9. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

10. Jack Briggs

Hey, thanks, Peter. How else would it have been possible for me to push an official Forum ban on posting anything negative about the work of Stanley Kubrick? [​IMG]
    Man, I would love to see Robinson Crusoe in Mars in 35mm. And, has there been any noise at all about its eventual arrival on DVD?

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Jack

What's this, you didn't bulldoze it? One unborn stripmall won't make it into this world...

Last time I went down there I stayed with my friend off Melrose & Sweetzer...they knocked down this great 20's deco building next to her and put up this horrible Box which now eclipses the sun.

Good Luck, hope you save a few more before there is nothing left!

Grant

12. Jack Briggs

I hear you, Grant. BTW, I live right in the area you mentioned--a block south of Melrose, and two blocks east of Fairfax.

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Nice neighborhood! I might weigh 300lbs if I lived that close to Pinks.

One of the few parts of LA that walking is allowed... have a good one Jack!

Grant

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Hey Jack, I just may see you there. Sounds like fun [​IMG]

15. Jack Briggs

Let me know, Robert. I'm more ramped up about Mars, since I have the Destination Moon DVD. And I just plain like the movie better. I've never seen it on the big screen before.

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Let's go for it, Jack. I'm too young to have seen Destination Moon on the big screen, but I did see RCOM on its initial release (I rarely missed an opportunity to see SF films in the theater when I was a kid). This would be the first time I'll have seen it in OAR since then, and probably the first time in 20-25 years.