_Harry Potter_: It is just me, or...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Waits, May 30, 2002.

1. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me, or have I seen Harry Potter before...?

I have not read any of the books, and I just watched Harry Potter & the Sorcer's stone for the first time last night, but during the whole movie, I kept thinking one thing: I have seen this movie before! [I also do not read or catch up on many of the Harry Potter threads, as not having read any of the books, I didn't want to spoil them should I take them up (my wife has as of Monday) or see the upcoming movie...]

Can anyone say Star Wars?

I don't know about you, but this movie had Star Wars written all over it! [... And before I begin, I want to say that I think that the bad guy Vandermont(sp?) is Harry's father]

Let's draw some parallels which made me think this:

- Harry was "dumped" at his aunt and uncle's house like Luke Skywalker, to get away from an evil nemisis whose parents this nemisis killed. Also like Luke, he posesses real powers (magic vs. "the force") that were to be hidden from each (at least at first). As each got older, their powers were revealed to them. Also, each set of Aunt/Uncle attempted to hide the fact of the young one's special powers from them.

- Harry's femle friend is like Princess Leia. Smart, head-strong, and gung-ho.

- The main wizard of the Hogwarts seems to fit the mold of Master Jedi Knight Yoda just fine. He also has a little Obi-Ben in him though...

- The trolls that protected the bank were like Jawwa's. Each was a small, repugnant creature that generated commerce, and were generally non-threatening, unless provoked.

- Harry's scar hurts to warn him of impending danger, much like a disturbance of the force...

Also, the reason why I think that the evil one is Harry's father (again, this would also be just like Star Wars) is the fact that in the dream sequence, the mother is the only one who appears to actually have been killed. Also, the child was spared. Why? If for no other reason than it would be easier to kill your spouse than your offspring. Also, the face of this character was never shown and hid behing blank shroud (Darth Vadar anyone?). If his face were shown, we would know instantly because we can compare it with the image in the mirror. That would give too much away. Also, when Harry lied about the location of the Stone while looking in the mirror, the evil one chimed in that he was lying. How did he know? He couldn't see the image in the mirror. He also could not see the phyical evidence as the morphed image of the face was turned away from him. He was also not reading his mind, or else he would have immediately known that it was in his pocket (which body language eventually gave it away). He knew because I think that he was his father, and a parent knows when their child is lying.

Also, the possess teacher indicated that he knew Harry was a threat immediately upon sight. How did he know this? Because the evil one told him. Why did the evil one tell him? Because evil is only scared of their own, not of their enemy's. This couldn't happen unless Harry was the son, and the father was the one that possessed the teacher.

Oh well, if this is old news to anyone, then I apologize, and could anyone point me to where I might be able to catch up on parallels of Harry Potter? I purposedly stayed away from long winded details of Harry Potter until I started to watch the movie. If this isn't old news, then does anyone else see the resemblence?

Bill

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Go read all four books that are already out. You'll find out that you're waaaaay off base on many of the things you noted.
    Harry's father is definately not Voldemort, and is definately dead. Harry "meets" him in 3 different ways along the way, actually, along with his Mum of course.

The connection with Voldemort and Harry is already right in front of you, but you're missing it by a mile.

Hermione is most definately NOT Harry's sister!
    [​IMG]
    The potions teacher, Snapes, is not against Harry for the reasons you suspect. Again, read the books...I won't spill the beans here, spoiler block or no spoiler block!!

Sorry!

3. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

And how about the Star Wars/Wizard of Oz thing?

Chewbacca/Cowardly Lion?
    Tin Woodsman/R2D2?
    Dorothy/Leia?

They're movies--these things happen.

Anyone watch Star Wars and listen to Dark Side of the Moon?

4. StephanieC

StephanieC Stunt Coordinator

My dad kept pointing out Star Wars similarities, but he's never read the books either, and he likes to think up his own conclusions [​IMG]
    You shoudl really read the books, I think you'd find them intereasting.

5. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

I thought the game they played on the flying brooms had some very similar elements of the speeder bike chase in Return of the Jedi.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Definitely way off base on this one. I strongly recommend reading the books. I think you just have Star Wars on the brain.

7. William Waits

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Harry's Connection to Voldemort:

Harry is the lone survivor of Voldemort's brutal attack, and the reason why Voldemort "died". Obviously Voldemort was just very hurt and went away. Harry's scar hurts when Voldemort is nearby because 1) Voldemort caused the scar and potentially 2) His mother may have put a spell or enchantment on him to protect him from Voldemort, the enchantment may notify Harry when V is around.

Regarding Voldemort & Harry's Father not being one in the same:

From later books:
    Other characters in later books have relationships with Harry's father and Voldemort independently. They would have known if it was the same person. The ending to book 4 has a scene in which it is indisputable that Harry's father died as a result of Voldemort, and that Voldemort himself didn't die.

Not to say there isn't something to be revealed later:

Harry did get chosen by a wand that is in essence the twin of Voldemort's. This could easily be explained as part of his mother's protection spell, but it could be more.

From later books:

In book 4 there is a switch that plays with the timelines presented in book 1. I'm trying to be somewhat vague here, but there was a lot of talk on the internet as to whether it was an EDITING error, or an intentional change. To my knowledge, book 4 has never been re-edited and rereleased to change this much talked about scene, so there is likely something going on here

Also:

Harry survived the attack of Voldemort. He's the only one to have ever done so - ever. The ONLY other person that Voldemort is afraid of is Dumbledore. Clearly there is something special about Harry that goes beyond whatever protection his mother offerred. Either she was strong enough to protect him, and thus should have survived herself, or she was only strong enough to protect one of them, and chose Harry out of her love for him. Either is possible.

For "children's books" they are quite complicated and involved. I'm very impressed with how well woven they are, and expect big things from the last 3 books. If only Jo could get them out! She has said consistantly that it was always her plan to have 7 books - and that she's known the ending since the beginning.

9. William Waits

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    So your basic argument, since as mentioned the final scenes of Book 4 establish that Voldemort killed Harry's Father (i.e. they are separate persons), is that Harry's mother is a big slut who was fooling around with Voldemort behind James's back, became impregnated by Voldemort, therefore Harry is Voldemort's son? Given the descriptions of Lily Potter, I don't think there's any chance.

11. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Man..I just watched Hidden Fortress and realized all the Star Wars parallels in it[​IMG]

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

They are ALL based on Star Trek.
    Hail Gene Roddenberry! [​IMG]

13. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Let's see how this does in movies....

Jason

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well, using some of the theories going around on Star Wars web sites, maybe Voldemort is a clone of Harry's father.
    [​IMG]

15. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    William,
    You are trying too hard. Believe what you'd like. But please don't skip the books for the films. You are SO screwing yourself if you do.
    As for being like SW, is that a joke? It's similar to what SW is similar to. SW did not originate any of those concepts you discussed HP emulating. They are classic archetypes from stories much older than 1977.
    Just that, and nothing more,
    Chuck

16. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Regarding the Voldemort/Harry's father debate:
    There is no possible way they are one in the same person. Voldemort was an actual person, a student at Hogwarts, before Harry's father was even born. There's more on this is the next book/movie... Plus Book IV has that irrefutable proof that Voldemort killed Harry's Dad.

Regarding the Voldemort/Harry connection:
    It was NOT A RANDOM OCCURRENCE that Harry could speak to the snake in the beginning of "The Sorcerer's/Philospher's Stone". In the Harry Potter universe, only the darkest of dark wizards are parselmouths, or snake-talkers. Harry inherited this ability, but NOT genetically... More on this in the next book/movie... It was also NOT A COINCIDENCE that the wand that chose Harry was the "brother" of the wand that chose Voldemort. Same reason as well...

Your comparisons are interesting but completely invalid... but *definitely* go ahead and read the books. They are so, soooo much better than the movie, extremely well-written and deftly plotted, AND addictive as hell.
    And as previously mentioned, the Star Wars archetypes were hardly new, as any Hidden Fortress watcher could tell you.

17. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

This thread looks like a military report. [​IMG]
    Oh, and William, read the books. You're like, completely wrong. Sorry.

18. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

William-
    A spoiler for Book 2 that refutes your theory:
    In Chamber of Secrets it is revealed that in the attack that nearly killed him, Harry magically inherited some of Voldemort's powers (such as talking to snakes, and a predisposition to a certain type of wand), hence many of the connections you see are not necessarily the result of parentage.

A good comparison would be to the TV show Angel where:
    Cordelia inherited some demon-like powers from Doyle in the first season, even though she wasn't (well at the time anyway) a demon or related at all to Doyle.
    - Guy

19. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Lord of the Rings BABY! [​IMG]

20. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Coming to way off-base conclusions out of sheer ignorance (ignorance that can be easily remedied by reading the books) is unfortunate. Do a little work and read instead of basing everything on Cliff Notes plot points and only watching the movie.