_2001_ in 70mm at Hollywood's The Egyptian Theatre

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As I mentioned in another thread, a few SoCal HTFers have been discussing via e-mail the possibility of meeting for a screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey when it starts its two-week run at The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. If any of those members would care to chime in here, that would be wonderful.

I was discussing this last night with a dear friend, and she and I agreed that the 6 p.m. screening on December 21 would work best for us (her schedule as a graphics design artist is demanding).

So, that's when we are planning to show up at The Egyptian.

Afterward, it would be nice to grab a bite at a nearby restaurant and discuss what the evening's experience meant to and for us. I will be very interested in hearing firsthand the comments of those who have not enjoyed the privilege of seeing this masterpiece in 70mm before. In fact, I'd like to put to the test the oft-repeated statement made here at HTF that "if you haven't seen 2001 in 70mm, you really haven't seen it." Having had the advantage of seeing this film several times in every conceivable format, I'm not certain that I agree with that comment--though I certainly understand why many feel that way.

This screening is a natural for anyone into film and home theater and all that good stuff--i.e., members of Home Theater Forum.

So, care to join us? It would be a blast. December 21 at 6 p.m.

2. James Fucich

James Fucich Agent

Hi Jack,

I'd love to meet you on the 21st. However, due to scheduling constraints, my brother a I can't make it till the 27th or 28th. It would be great to get together and discuss my experience having NEVER seen this great film on any kind of movie screen (large or small). I can't wait! I'm just a little curious as to how much response this 2 week run will get. Are shows going to be sold out or will a mid-week showing (say at 3pm) be a piece of cake to get a good seat, without standing in line? We shall see. We are planning on catching the 3pm show probably on the 27th. I am planning on purchasing tickets ahead of time. I take no chances when it comes to an opportunity like this.

Take Care,

James

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Other than on December 21, I doubt there will be many sell-outs; times have changed since 1968, sad to say. But, then, who knows? Please let me know what you thought of the film in 70mm, James.

And now, anybody else interested? I know things are slow around here on Friday and all, but we're talking 2001 in 70mm, man. It's an event. (Does my bias show?)

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'm up for it, Jack, depending on my work schedule. I should know more next week.