What's new

_2001: HAL's Legacy_ (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This Arthur C. Clarke-hosted, hourlong documentary airs tonight on many PBS stations. It appears as if the program will be a television version of that excellent book of essays, HAL's Legacy.

Essentially, the program is to address the issue of just how far we are from the advent of a computer with the capabilities of HAL-9000.

This subject, and the film that inspired it, is a favorite of mine. Dunno if the program will be good or not, but given its PBS pedigree, odds are that it will be well worth your time.

Consider it recommended.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Very cool, thanks for the heads-up! KTCA-2 in Minneapolis has two shows tonight
8:00 CST: 2001 and Beyond
The lasting impact of the film ``2001: A Space Odyssey'' and a comparison of the film's futuristic world with the reality of today.
9:00 CST 2001: Hal's Legacy
A look at the film ``2001: A Space Odyssey,'' and thoughts from experts about artificial intelligence
What's stopping scientists from creating an Artificial Intelligence? Thirty-five years ago, in the noted film classic '2001:A Space Odyssey,' writer Arthur C. Clarke and director Stanley Kubrick created a fictional AI that would set a benchmark for a whole real-world industry: the sinister, smooth-talking, omniscient computer HAL. Now, in the year 2001, this program presents some of the key scenes from the epic movie, and asks if such a creature can be constructed in reality. Clarke and experts from across the United States weigh in on the subject, saying it is possible. If so, how close is science to reaching that goal?

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
PLUS, showing at 7:00 CST:
NOVA Special Effects: 'Titanic' and Beyond
NOVA goes behind the scenes of Hollywood's biggest blockbuster ever, "Titanic," and shows viewers how James Cameron achieved his spectacular vision. The program also reveals the secrets behind the explosions on the set of "The X-Files" movie and the painstaking work that went into the animations in "Flubber." The cinema's first great pioneer, Georges Melies, produced hundreds of short films, like the classic "A Trip to the Moon" (1902), featuring simple animation and characters that abruptly appear and vanish. In this star-studded NOVA, the art of illusion meets the science of perception.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
AAAAHHHHH!!! I missed it. Why do I only peruse the forum at night any more???? Oh me. Now I will have to scour for future times. It's not even listed on TVGuide.com for here in Atlanta. Oh why... :frowning:
edit - only fitting that my 200th post is about 2001. Now if only my 2001st post will be about the masterpiece as well... :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It was not aired on GBH-2 in Boston - and won't be anytime this week. Or ever, as far as I know.

Have I missed something?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And I'd dearly love to see that documentary that Scott mentioned, 2001 and Beyond. I believe our very own Steve Christou mentioned the documentary to me in an e-mail. It's a BBC production, I believe.

As for 2001: HAL's Legacy: excellent. And it is based on the collection of essays I mentioned.

Check your local listings, people. You do not want to miss the program.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Haven't seen it listed as being on in my area.

Unfortunately, I'm really, really bad at catching things on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks