999ES and 777es

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John_Lee, Jun 21, 2004.

1. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I have an STRDA-777ES receiver and have recently purchased a DVP-NS999ES DVD/SACD player. I note that the player has internal DD and DTS decoders. I'll naturally be connecting the SACD via the 5.1 analog outputs. Does anyone know whether I'd be better served leaving decoding of DVDs to the receiver or taking advantage of the player's decoders. I know the 777 had Sony's state of the art at the time it was manufactured, but don't know what, if any, advancements have been made between then and the manufacture of the 999.

2. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I have an STRDA-777ES receiver and have recently purchased a DVP-NS999ES DVD/SACD player. I note that the player has internal DD and DTS decoders. I'll naturally be connecting the SACD via the 5.1 analog outputs. Does anyone know whether I'd be better served leaving decoding of DVDs to the receiver or taking advantage of the player's decoders. I know the 777 had Sony's state of the art at the time it was manufactured, but don't know what, if any, advancements have been made between then and the manufacture of the 999.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 999 will likely sound better thanks to its nice DACs, but the receiver will have better bass management, so for movies at least, let the receiver do the decoding. For CD, you can choose whichever sounds better, and obviously for SACD, you will have to use the m/c analog outs on the player.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 999 will likely sound better thanks to its nice DACs, but the receiver will have better bass management, so for movies at least, let the receiver do the decoding. For CD, you can choose whichever sounds better, and obviously for SACD, you will have to use the m/c analog outs on the player.