1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

99% Finished Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian-W, May 14, 2001.

1. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Well, just need to do cosmetic touch ups and install seating, but here is my theater.
    - 15 ft. wide x 19.5 feet deep x 8 feet ceiling height
    - double deck risor (first is 6" high x 6 feet deep; second is 10" high x 7 feet deep)
    - Sound Channels wall fabric installed over double layer of 1/2 drywall (and between the drywall is 1/8 vinyl barrier)
    - JVC G11u w/ISCO-2 lens and Stewart 120" Grayhawk 16x9 screen
    Below are some photos along with some screen shots from my set up:

Front of Theater (temporary center speaker holder)

Left Side (looking towards the front)

Rear Section

Close Encounters of 3rd Kind (High Definition Laserdisc)

Fish Face of Okinawa (High Definition Laserdisc)

Terminator 2 (High Definition Laserdisc)

DVD scenes from HTPC

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    That looks great Brian! So tell me how sound proof did the double sheet rock make the room. I am still tossing around two sheet rock or sound board and sheet rock. I love your riser you built. I am yet to hear of HiDef Laser discs. Is it out on Japan? And is it better than DVD?
    Wes

3. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    What did you use as an outer wall covering? It's hard to tell from the pictures.
    Bill

4. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Forget my last post. I guess I just looked at your great pictures and didn't read your whole post. I'll change my question. How well is the Sound Channels wall fabric working and where did you get it?
    Thanks. Bill

5. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

The sound proofing (when window blocks are installed) cut sound down dramatically. I can listen at my Lexicon setting of -5db, and you can hear a slight mumbling coming from the room from a room or two away. When you walk into the theater it's like opening the door to a live concert. So it works great.
    The vinyl mat cuts sound by 20db, so makes a big difference. The windows are chintzy single pane (double would make a huge difference) and we have panels that push into the windows. Panels are made of 1/8 thick oak paneling (finishing paneling) mounted front/back to a 2" thick pine 2x8s. Covering the outer portion facing into the theater is Sound Channels fabric.
    I got the Sound Channels and Vinyl barrier from Acoustics First (www.acousticsfirst.com).
    The Sound Channels works in my opinion great! It's mounted directly to gypsum board, and for me it sounds very balanced in my room. Some thought all the Sound Channels would = a dead room (something I wanted actually!) but it doesn't, it just sounds balanced. On the front wall is just painted gypsum board.
    Hope this helps.
    -Brian

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Brian:
    Excuse my ignorance here but is the JVC a D-ILA and are you using an HTPC to drive the whole thing using the DVI of the projector?
    Parker

7. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Yes, using a JVC G11u D-ILA unit. Nope, no DVI, and as far as I know, JVC hasn't begun shipping D-ILA units with DVI interfaces yet.
    My HTPC is used only for DVD playback.
    -Brian

8. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor