.99¢ DVD's, any titles worth buying?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    You can find .99¢ public domain DVD's all over the place now but my question is this. Are there any worth purchasing and have a decent transfer? I am sure there has to be something in the bunch?

Eric

2. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I bought THE COLLEGE Buster Keaton DVD at the 99cent store and it ended up being the KINO releasing transfer. The KINO emblem appeared before the film started. It is a decent transfer and for 99cents it is great.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I would avoid any silents on these DVD's if just to honor the quality work done by Kino or Film Preservation Associates. It's not right to support their theft of quality work, even if it is public domain.

However, I've found Digiview to be a good source for public domain animation, from their own masters.

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Agreed! I just don't think it's fair to support a company that is essentially stealing someone else's work.

5. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I was only replying to the question. When I purchased COLLEGE I had no idea it was a Kino pressing. This company obviously had Kino's permission or I'm sure a lawsuit would be pending. Sorry I brought it up.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be accusational. Just making a point. When faced with a version that's released by a real company vs. one of these PD outfits, I will always buy the real company's version, no matter how big the price difference is, but that's just me.[​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If you're only paying 99 cents, the quality of the transfer is really irrelevant.

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

If you like animation, the disc of Tom and Jerry (the Van Beuren ones, not the cat and mouse) shorts is great. The prints are pretty decent and the animation is along the lines of early Fleischer toons. Frequently surreal and full of music.

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Actually, I would doubt they had Kino's permission. The reason Kino put their name on it (and why some of the companies like Kino put marks in the film to identify it as their transfer) is to see if people are stealing the film which is very common with public domain titles.

The thing about a lot of PD companies are, they are here and gone pretty quickly. They release a title to the big retailers, with only a name on the product, then close up shop and start up again under a different name. Very hard to be sued.

I remember reading in the TV Forum how some PD company was releasing some highly wanted TV show on DVD. TVSHOWSONDVD wanted more info on it and they were very uncooperative in giving it to them. Basically, they knew that if word got out widely there were releasing it, they would get caught since they didn't really have the rights.

I have a lot of the 99 cent DVDs (and the box sets of 50 movies for under $20) and I am sure a lot of them aren't public domain.

But, a lot of them aren't too bad quality. You get what you paid for though.