'97 Mitsubishi Mirage, what do ya'll think?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Keith_R, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I'm now in the market for my first car. The car needs simply to be a good used car that will get me from work to school to other social events (especially now that I'm 18 and in college[​IMG] ). I've been looking for several months and believe I may have come across the perfect car, a '97 Mitsubishi Mirage.

The car is being sold by the owner not by the dealer and appears to be in really good shape, aside from a few minor exterior problems which the owner told me could be fixed for $380. My only other major qualms are that it has 102,000 miles and may need some major parts fixed soon with those kind of miles. Also I've heard varying opinions on the Mitsubishi line with some saying their great and others that hate them. My mother is concerned about safety especially since our insurance company gives the car the lowest rating of a 3. I'm torn, I really don't know what to do. The car is perfect for me and it is right in my price range at $2200, I've seen it first hand and can say it looks to be in good shape.Under the hood it looks really clean and the most that it appears to need is some minor body stuff which can be fixed for $380. Our mechanic strongly suggested against me buying a mitsi and said "the Mirage's are extremely cheap and usually don't make it past 60,000 miles." What should I do? any opinions on Mitsubishi or the Mirage? please help. Thanks.

2. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

The tell-tale sign is if you see a lot of them on the road. Start looking for the same car. If you don't see any, there's probably a reason. Can you link to a picture of a standard '97 Mirage?

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Of the 4 top Japanese car manufacturers Mitsu does indeed rank the worst. Other alternatives are:

Toyota Tercel, Corolla, Camry
    Honda Civic, Accord
    Nissan Sentra, Altima, Maxima (3rd generation models are getting in your price grange)
    Infiniti G20

www.cars.com
    www.autotrader.com

After searching months for a decent used car some good advice is not to go for the first one you see in your price range. I'd go for a nice Maxima or Accord for around $2500.

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I work in a Toyota dealership service dept. and we get all kinds of used cars coming thru our shop. Mitsubishi is not close to being in the same league with Toyota, Honda, or Nissan, more like Ford or Chrysler products as far as longevity.

A well maintained Civic or Corolla is only half used up at 102k, it's rare for a Mits to even achieve that mileage without a major breakdown.

What is your max budget for a car?

In your situation I'd strongly recommend getting a newer, lower mileage low end model Honda, Toyota, Nissan--Civic, Corolla, Sentra instead of an older high end model like the Maxima. The low end models are just as reliable as the high end ones--more so since they have fewer gadgets to go wrong, and when something does go wrong they're lots cheaper to fix.

7. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

I can't reccomend a Civic enough. You should be able to find an EG Civic hatch (92-95) or an EF Civic hatch (96-00) in your price range. The build is exceptional for the price range and I can't imagine a car with more longevity from the drivetrain.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

For the price range you are considering a Honda/Toyota/Nissan is a better option for you but I will say this much being an owner of a Mitsubishi. I haven't had any major trouble yet other than the usual maintenance that is typically done on most all of the Japanese cars.. you know timing belt, water pump, tuneup etc which I will call routine maintenance.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was a Mitsubishi owner until my Mighty Max pickup was stolen in 1997. I had over 95,000 miles on the truck and no mechanical problem at all. But I must add that the truck had nothing on it other than power brakes....no power steering, no air conditioning, no radio, nada....

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

No radio or A/C ? Was it a special order ?

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Not a special order, just a "bottom-of-the-line" pickup truck. No power steering either, so parallel parking was quite a workout. I puchased the truck new for something like $7,500 back in 1989 and it was stolen in front of my house in 1997. After 2 weeks, the insurance company decided to paid me the market value of the truck....$4,500. I was surprised it was worth that much. Puchased a 1997 Toyota Tacoma for replacement. Despite the more powerful engine, the CD player, the airbag, the power steering, and the A/C, I think I actually like the Mitsubishi better.

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My '96 Mirage has a whoping 48,000 miles on it. Don't tell me its the crappiest Japanese car. I want ti to last till 250,000 [​IMG]

The following things need fixin on a 97 mirage:

*Crappy radio
    *Crappy speakers
    *Seats may or may not be comfortable, they don't adjust much, check for a sure fit
    *Slow, don't pass anywhere near a blind corner.