96kHz/24bit DAC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Does a 96kHz/24bit DAC make a big difference in sound quality? Does it work for any input or only optical/coaxial digital inputs?

Thanks

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

If your unit has a direct mode- than it should bypass the DACs when using that mode, but if you use a digital mode, then the DACs come into play. Will good DACs improve the sound?- that depends on the source unit. If it's of lesser quality (does not have as good DAC conversion as the receiver), then it should. If it's of higher quality (has better built in DACs) then no. Also, since when using a digital mode the signal has to pass through two DAC conversions, it seems like that defeats the purpose of buying a source unit with higher quality DACs for digital output, unless you have a direct mode- which usually works for music and not HT. That's what I think, anyway.

3. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I'm quite qure I'll get the sony DE885/985 receiver but the only problem is that it doesn't have a 96kHz DAC.

I will be using the receiver mostly to listen to MP3s from my PC and DVDs.

What type of connection from the PC to the recevier would I need to make a 96kHz DAC improve the sound of MP3s and DVDs?

Is it worth looking for a receiver with 96kHz DACs for what I will be using it for?

Thanks

4. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

It does have 96khz dacs!!!

5. Brian_Tho

6. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"It does have 96khz dacs!!!"

Are you talking about the sony 885/985? Are you serious? These models have 96kHz DACs? It doesn't say that anywgere in the specs.

Please tell me the 885/985 has 96kHz DACs!

7. Brian_Tho

Yes it does!!!! go to crutchfield pull up the specs on the 985 or 885. Hell my little sony htib receiver decodes 96khz audio!!

8. Brian_Tho

Get the 985 has more features than the 885

9. Brian_Tho

sorry to bust your bubble, but 96khz sounds the same to me as 44 or 48khz. Thats just my opinion though.

10. Brian_Tho

11. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"Get the 985 has more features than the 885"

Are the only differences between the 885 and 985:
    -6.1 surround
    -Learning remote
    -OSD

Is there anything more the 985 does?

Thanks

12. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

One thing that hasn't been mentioned:

MP3s aren't that great, soundwise. If the difference between a CD and an MP3 doesn't bother you, or if you don't even notice it, I don't think you'll find any great difference with a 96 kHz DAC.

A 96 kHz DAC will probably not help your MP3s much, if at all (garbage in, garbage out). Besides, I don't even know if it matters, unless your receiver can actually decode MP3s.

J

13. Brian_Tho

the mp3 player decodes the mp3 and passes the signal to the receiver. Theres not that much of a diff between cd and high bitrate mp3. I mean for god sakes lets all sit around the old home theater and count the instruments we can hear, the highs, the lows, the mids, oooh ahhh. I mean as long as the music sounds decent I am happy. I'm not into audio to that extent. Maybe Im wrong though

14. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I know CDs sound a bit better than MP3s (I'll probably see a bigger difference when I get a real sound system), but It's so much easier to work with MP3s than audio CDs. My current minisystem takes 60CDs and plays mp3s off them, I can actually chosoe the CD, then the artist, then the song that I want, this makes finding songs very easy. You can't do that with audio CDs or fit 200+ songs per CD without mp3.

I was wondering about the 96kHz for DVDs mostly.

Thanks

15. Brian_Tho

Forget it, The khz is set on dvd's cannot change it. If I remeber its 48khz

16. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I didn't mean for anybody to get defensive about MP3s [​IMG]
    My main point was that MP3 quality isn't that great, and because of that, you probably wouldn't see much if any difference from switching DACs. The bottleneck in this system comes before any sort of DAC.
    J

17. Brian_Tho

Your right Jason. Riddle me this if you never hear a sacd or dvd-a like me then mp3s sound great. i know there is better to be had. Just like the fact that mp3s are so cheap!

18. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

The difference between MP3s and CDs is pretty noticeable to me, actually, especially the garden variety 128kbps files. I am not an audiophile, nor have I heard DVD-A or SACD, but the sound difference between MP3 and CD is quite substantial IMO.
    That said, mp3s ARE convenient.
    I won't touch the cost issue of mp3s with a 1,000 km pole though [​IMG]

19. Brian_Tho

320kpbs is ok though

20. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

I agree. The difference between 320 and CD aren't that great. The MP3 format in general, though, needs to be abolished in favor of a better encoding algorithm. This won't happen though because of the huge MP3 player base that's already in circulation. There are new algorithms that are superior in quality and compression than MP3.

As for the DAC's. If your CD player is decoding the MP3's then wouldn't it be using the player's DAC's?