96kHz/24-bit PCM questions/problems with Sony 9000ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Schwabacher, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone with this player gotten it to successfully pass a 96/24 PCM signal? I have two DVD's that I know of with 96/24 PCM tracks (Queen's "Night At The Opera" DVD-A and Disc 2 of Se7en) and, even though I have my DVD player set to output a 96/24 digital signal, my receiver (a 'DA4ES) decodes it as a 48kHz/16-bit signal. The receiver is compatible with 96/24, FWIW.

2. Greg Schwabacher

I think I've figured this one out. After having a nice tech support person at Sony point it out to me in the manual, I think I've figured out why my receiver is doing what it's doing with the 96/24 PCM tracks. From page 61 on my DVD player's manual, I quote:

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

There are genuine 24/96 DVD discs out there. (Officially known as Digital Audio Disc.) Not many though. www.Chesky.com has a few.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The manual in my Panasonic DVD-A player saids the same thing.

6. Greg Schwabacher

I agree, what a load of crap. The thing is, those folks who want to pirate/copy this stuff at full resolution will figure out how do to it anyway, while the rest of us have our expensive audio equipment hobbled in the name of the RIAA. Whatever.

7. Greg Schwabacher

I'm sure I can get 96/24 by using the analog outputs from my DVD player. However, since my receiver can handle the 96/24 PCM bitstream, it'd be nice to be able to let it. Plus, if I want to apply DPL-II (or something similar), it's much better to let the receiver do that with a digital signal than with an analog one...my receiver's DSP processing is much noiser with an analog signal. Oh well...if I really want DPL-II, I'll let the receiver deal with the 48/16 downconverted signal.

8. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I have a question about this player, which I recently picked up from a fellow HTF member. I read on another forum (I believe AVS, not sure though) that the 9000ES cannout output more than a 5.1-ch signal. In other words, the way I read this, if a DVD is encoded at 6.1 or 7.1, the 9000ES will still only put out a 5.1 signal. This doesn't make any sense to me. If it's outputting a digital signal shouldn't that digital signal be the raw digital data from the disc? In other words, whatever is on the disc should get passed to the receiver or outboard decoder, so if the disc is 6.1 the decoder should decode a 6.1-ch (assuming the decoder is capable of such), and same for 7.1.

So, is this right, or was the person who told me this just wrong, or did I maybe misunderstand something?

Basically, I want to know if I use this player, and a 6.1- or 7.1-capable receiver (like the Sony STR-DA4ES), and am playing a 6.1- or 7.1-encoded disc, will I get sound out of all appropriate channels, or will I only get 5.1.

Greg, I know from your posts about the noise issue that you also have the DA4ES, so I'm hoping you're in a great position to definitively answer this question. (I don't have a DA4ES yet, but that's what I'm currently planning on getting in the near future.)

9. Greg Schwabacher

Justin, the 9000ES will pass a 6.1 signal fine. As you mentioned, I have the 9000ES and a DA4ES and 6.1-encoded movies work great! In fact, I read about problems that some DA5ES owners were having playing the DTS-ES discrete track on Blade II. Just for grins, I rented that movie to see how the DA4ES would handle it. It auto-decoded the DTS-ES discrete digital signal that my 9000ES sent it perfectly...and what a great soundtrack that is!

Don't worry...the 9000ES will work perfectly with all of the 6.1/7.1 formats, as long as your receiver can handle them. 96/24 DTS discs (like the Queen - A Night At The Opera) work great, too!

10. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the SP/DIF is incapable of passing a 96/24 signal. I believe this is why SACD players have 6 channel outputs.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Regarding 96/24 digital tracks:
    Just about all of AIX Records dvd-audios have "normal" 96/24 PCM tracks your dvd-video player can play. As far as the downconversion thing, I am not sure:
    http://www.aixrecords.com/index.html
    Hi-Rez Music's discs also can be played on a regular dvd-video player: http://www.hiresmusic.com/faq.html
    And some Warner & Capitol dvd-audios have this capability.
    LJ

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Any 24/96 on a DVD-A disc will be downconverted.
    But there are "Digital Audio Discs" out there, basically DVD-V discs, with 24/96 tracks that *can* be played back digitally through your DVD-V player to pre/pro-receiver (if the receiving unit is compatible with 24/96).
    DVD-A: no. DVD-V (or DAD): yes. [​IMG]

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I guess I had better clarify something:
    Those 96/24 tracks will be converted by the player's internal DAC--with no downconversion--and the resulting high resolution analog signal will exit through the player's RCA jacks.
    When playing my Eric Johnson dvd-audio with this type of track, the player's audio display clearly said "LPCM 96k/24b" (the "L" standing for "linear" or non-compressed PCM). And the optical output was shut off (I know, becuase I physically looked).
    Gee, sometimes I think we were better off with just a turntable, amp and two big ol' floor speakers with 12" woofers. Ah, the good old days................
    LJ

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

LJ- You are exactly right. [​IMG] I was talking about what can come out of the player's digital output.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer