What's new

96 Jetta car stereo question (1 Viewer)

Chris Hopper

Agent
I just bought a 96 Jetta gls with a six disk changer, and the cartridge is missing. I have went to my local VW dealer and have ordered 3 that have all came in and not worked. One cartridge fit, but said: "error 6" on the display. From what I have found online there were several stereos released that year. To the best of my knowledge I have tried ever cartridge except for the one for the Bose system that came out that year. I do not want to shell out the money for the Bose cartridge and it not fit. Does anybody know how to identify the Bose stereo? WIll it say Bose on it? All my stereo says is "premium" and "Volkswagon". Does the error messege mean that my stereo is broken, or it is a Bose. My local dealership has not beeen able to help me even with the model number. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
chris

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
can you take the radio out of ther harness? It should have a model number there.

I cant beleive the dealer isnt helping at all.

Error 6 sounds to me like a disc read error.. maybee dirty? upside down?? Man it would help with a model number

Brett_H

Second Unit
Or more specifically, to the Car Audio forum on the VWVortex.

There are some experienced people there that should be able to help diagnose the problem better than the dealer. I've not had a factory CD changer/player in any of my 'Dubs so I'd be of no help here.

-Brett.
'00 GTI GLS 1.8T
'90 Jetta GLI 16V

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
ahh, I miss my 83 gti. Great car. One thing about it though, one of my friends had one, identical, except his 0-30 was about half of mine. couldn't figure it out. Even my mechanic was baffled. Could it have been a test pipe in place of the catalytic? Launch was so much more powerful... I would have bought it from him but he blew it up (hello, temp gauge in red on vw means stop RIGHT NOW!) and he smoked in it 24/7 so the interior was ruined. So fast though...

Man, if I could have swapped one of those new turbo engines in it... sweet.

I still want a 78 scirocco.... :)

Kevin

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Vortex is a great reference. Try VWenthusiast.com as well.

If I am not mistaken...the OEM changers on the MKIII's are Panasonics. The HU's are Clarions. Someone on Vortex is bound to know. Since changing my HU to a Kenwood in 1995 GLX, I am a little out of the loop on VW's audio parts.

Kevin...a 1.8t would be a monster in the original pocket rocket. Yow!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i used to be a mobile installer, and i dont remember a bose system in any volkswagen. i believe the premium system that is found in all those early-mid 90s passats is tha aktiv system. this is easily identified by taking the radio out and looking at the two plugs. if the plugs are black and brown, and they are the same size, its not the premium system. if one of the plugs is red and larger than the other, this is the aktiv system, and must be rewired if you are putting in a new head unit. but if youre only looking for a changer cartridge, then you know who may be able to tell you OEM info, is crutchfield. i believe doug is correct about the panasonics and clarions. best of luck.

CJ

86 Jetta GL
00 Jetta GLS
84 Jetta GLi

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks