What's new

950 or 3803 (1 Viewer)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I bought a Outlaw 950 a couple of weeks ago and I'm still in the process of deciding whether to keep it or not. I have been happy with the sound quality that I'm getting from it as it is a definite improvement over the Denon 3300 that I was using. I'm currently running a 5.1 Klipsch Ref setup with Dual CS+ subs for the low end. I did notice about a 3db gain from the subs when I switched to the outlaw. This has to do with the low voltage output that I was getting from the Denon sub out. My question is, would I be better off getting the 3803 and using that as a pre-pro? By doing that I would be able to use the internal amps for the rear surrounds if I ever went to 7.1. I'm currently using a Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 5 channel amp. I have about 2 weeks left to decide on the Outlaw. :confused:

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
have you done a side by side with the 3803?

Personally I don't put the two products in the same category because one is a pre-amp and one is a receiver by my way of thinking.

I would prefer not to buy the extra receiver pieces if you have no intention of using them and continue to use your Sherwood Amp.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Going from an entry level processor to a top level receiver
might make sense, for extra features maybe, but not the second-tier 3803.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I'm in the same boat as you Richard. I got my Outlaw 950 a couple of weeks ago and I am leaning towards keeping the unit. All of the negative bias against the Outlaw almost swayed me into sending it back but ya know what? The Outlaw sounds pretty damn awesome and I'm not going to let an extremely vocal(and that's putting it lightly) minority change my mind. Going from the 950, to the Denon would definitely be a step down.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I agree with Peter. Like any product, the 950 needs time to get used to. The remote is very good once I figured out how to program it. The hiss issue is non-existent since I adjusted my amp gain slightly. The tuner is better than expected. The sound? Well, the sound is better than anything I have ever owned, better than my buddy's Denon 4801, and extremely detailed and crisp. You get a very competent pre/pro for less money than any other pre/pro out there, and it has a 5 year warranty and outstanding customer service to go with it.

If you decide that you want to add 2 more channels at a later time, you can always find a decent used 2 channel amp online.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I would keep the 950 also. At the price I doubt you will find a better sounding receiver. I have owned the 950 since May and I am still impressed with how beautiful it can sound. That being said, I am really looking forward to Rotel's or Outlaw's new offerings down the road once the digital connections are figured out.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
One big plus that the 950 has that the 3803 probably won't: bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs.

If you want a pre/pro, keep the 950. If you want a receiver, get the 3803. BTW, I bet Outlaw's customer service (if ever you should need it) would also be an improvement over Denon's...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks