What's new

90's TV Shows on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I was just rethinking some television programs that haven't make it out on DVD yet, and I noticed that a great many "biggies" of the ninties haven't made it out on digital yet. Programs like China Beach, Wonder Years, Sisters, I'll Fly Away, Chicago Hope, etc haven't even been attempted to make it out to the masses, I know China Beach and Wonder Years, it's probably due to music licenses, but that shouldn't apply so much to the other programs. Or maybe the ninties was a creative low point for the medium. What do you think? James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
JamesSmith said:
Or maybe the ninties was a creative low point for the medium. James
The 2010s haven't had much to shout about. :(

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Regulus said:
The 2010s haven't had much to shout about. :(
Groovy, but he was asking about the 90s, not today. I don't know that a lot of 90s hits are really missing from the dvd scene (I'd argue that a lot of 80s hits are not presently available). I'd point out that Wonder Years and China Beach are really 80s shows, since they both premiered in '88. Most of the major 90s hits like ER, X-Files and 90210 are available in their entirety. There's loads of sitcoms that are either not available or only ever made it to season one. Don't ask me why Chicago Hope is not on dvd, but I have a feeling that medical shows don't do as well as other genres. I'm fairly satisfied at present with the output of 90s shows on dvd, but there's a lot of stalled programs in my collection that need more love.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ethan Riley said:
Groovy, but he was asking about the 90s, not today. I don't know that a lot of 90s hits are really missing from the dvd scene (I'd argue that a lot of 80s hits are not presently available). I'd point out that Wonder Years and China Beach are really 80s shows, since they both premiered in '88. Most of the major 90s hits like ER, X-Files and 90210 are available in their entirety. There's loads of sitcoms that are either not available or only ever made it to season one. Don't ask me why Chicago Hope is not on dvd, but I have a feeling that medical shows don't do as well as other genres. I'm fairly satisfied at present with the output of 90s shows on dvd, but there's a lot of stalled programs in my collection that need more love.
I'd agree. Look at the great medical shows over the last 40-50 yrs, e.g. Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, Marcus Welby, M.D., The Breaking Point, The Human Jungle, The Nurses, Medical Center, Chicago Hope, ER, St. Elsewhere, House. Of those shows, only House and ER are available in their entirety or near entirety. Medical Center, St. Elsewhere, Marcus Welby, M.D. have 1 or 2 seasons available, and great stuff like Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, The Breaking Point, The Human Jungle, The Nurses, and Chicago Hope, have a big fat ZERO. The powers that be seemingly have decided that with a few exceptions, they have NO interest in the Medical drama genre. Stuff like MASH and Scrubs are not medical dramas, they are comedies, or at least have comedic features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks