90210 Season One Discussion Thread

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
So...I thought I'd start a little thread here. I'm curious about something--I thought 90210 was supposedly the #1 most-requested tv dvd of all time, but how come nobody's really talking about it? Oh well. I have a few notes about it:

Picture Quality: It's acceptable. That's about the kindest word I can give it. The colors and image quality are not particularly lush or sharp. The series is showing its age. It's not bad, though, and that's important to keep in mind. I would say it's somewhere in the range of the "Party of 5" dvds. Not the greatest, but still acceptable.

Cuts/Missing Scenes: NONE! (Whew!) So far as I know. I haven't watched it all yet, but I've noticed that all the episodes so far seem to run a little over 46 minutes. That sounds about right. I checked the dvd against my vhs copy of ep #2 "The Green Room." I taped that episode the night it aired. The dvd is missing not one second (I don't think so anyway??) In another thread I had noted some of the scenes that were deleted for syndication over the years--they're all here on the dvd so far as I can tell.

The Pilot Episode: The pilot had a weird history. It aired Oct. 4, 1990, as a 90 minute presentation. Nobody believes me about that, but it did, 'cause Grandpa here was ready with his vcr and taped it, and still has it. I believe that it was intended as a two-hour show but was cut to the 90 minute length just before it aired. (That's what I think--all my online resources such as tv.com don't discuss it. However, tv.com mentions that the pilot ran in the U.K. for an hour and 50 minutes. Go figure). Then when it was rerun in syndication, it suddenly expanded to 2 one-hour episodes which featured additional scenes. Most of the added scenes centered around the teachers. Also, at least one major scene was actually missing in syndication--that was the scene where Brenda and Kelly are lying in bed talking to each other on the phone. As far as I can tell, that scene has been gone for the last 16 years! Well, it's back on the dvd. I truly am convinced that the dvd is the absolute first public presentation of the complete pilot, uncut and as originally envisioned. This is all what I infer from deduction--does anybody know any factual history about the pilot?? And here's one last positive note: the pilot is shown on the dvd as a two-hour film; not broken up into two episodes. This is a good thing!!

Music Replacement: Well, sorry, but there's a lot of it. What can I say. It's not that bad, though--don't worry about it.

The Extras: Well, they're kinda dull. There's some behind-the-scenes stuff that was shot in the 90s, and 90s interviews with the cast, but future sets really need some new "looking back" clips of the cast. There is audio commentary by Darren Star on two episodes. Well, he does comment on just the first half of the pilot. I guess he was too darn busy to keep talking for the entire thing. His commentary is dull; he seems distracted and disinterested. He notes that he hasn't watched the episodes in 15 years. It sounds like he's just over 90210 and he does his commentary by rote, as if he barely remembers his involvement. And irritatingly enough, he makes no mention of the fact that the pilot was cut by 1/2 hour originally. I do notice one thing...he says that a lot of the photography on the pilot was shot by the second unit director. Most of this second-unit stuff is what was cut for opening night. Again, go figure.

In Conclusion: Well, what can I say? We finally have a 90210 dvd. If I believe the polls on tvshowsondvd.com, it was one of the most requested, if not the most requested tv dvd of all time. I say it's safe to buy--everything is intact (except the music) and it is what it is. I would give it a 3 out of 5 in terms of high quality, but it's also pretty much what I expected...I didn't expect them to go all out on the dvd like with "Lost" or something. What I think it is, is exactly what the 90210 fans really need--no more, no less.

P.S.: In 'The Green Room' episode, there was a 24 year old extra walking around in a jeans jacket with a burgundy-colored book, playing a high school student. He was very skinny, had dark hair. He is now 30 lbs. heavier, has somewhat less hair and looks like the father of that extra--I should know, because I see that person every time I look in the mirror.

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
Ethan,

I think Episode 7 "The Perfect Mom" is cut. Jim gets a new keyboard but there is no mention of this until very late in the episode. I haven't watched it in quite a while and I could be wrong.

coryE

Agent
Real Name
cory emerson

I'll have to agree to disagree here. I find the music cuts on this set very noticable.

So far I've only watched the pilot and the green room but I notice where they inserted the new music. It's the same generic crap they inserted on other shows like quantum leap and GAH. Just ruins the early 90's feel this show has.

I'm glad I have this series recorded up to season 4 from this summer as I won't be purchasing any other season until season 5.

The best part about recording it off the channel here is that it was totally uncut. I'm going to email them and find out why they stopped at the end of season 4. I was really hoping to record the whole series.

I know this was the only way to release this show but the music cuts are just too drastic for myself personally.

Cory

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan