What's new

$900 Hdtv (1 Viewer)

Ethen Hunt

Auditioning
Im lookin to buy a smaller HDTV for my room....i will be hooking up my x box to act as a system and dvd player....if im willing to spend $900 (Can) what Television should i buy?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are no HD-capable displays available at an MSRP of $900 presently, Ethan. You might be able to find some discontinued 27-inch HD-capable monitors for that street price in a month or two though (Samsung and Sampo perhaps).

I wouldn't use a Sony X-Box as a primary DVD player in even a modest home-theater system.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The Xbox isn't progressive for DVD playback anyway so it wouldn't benefit from an HD capable TV. The games will though.
Sony Xbox, isn't that made by a little company called Nintendo? :D

David Susilo

Screenwriter
The cheapest HDTV monitor is by Samsung for around Cdn$1500 including taxes. You may want to contact Eastview Electronics on Kennedy Road in Scarborough. Try to talk to Raymond, he's one honest guy. I always deal with him and my entire home electronics and appliances were furnished through him.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my 32" Samsung HDTV for $999 about a month ago. Then again US dollars are worth a lot more than can ones, Id say as a bare minimum you're gonna spend about $1499 CAN

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, what timing.

I was reading the good guys! Sunday supplement (or was it Best Buy's?), and a 27-inch HD-capable Zenith was being advertised at $799. So there you go.

A big caveat, however: It is my understanding that the direct-view Zeniths do not incorporate progressive-scan component inputs, nor do their internal line-doublers incorporate 2:3 pulldown correction. If you can live without those (essential) features, then the 27-inch can offer HD on the cheap. But you'll still have to shell out hundreds more for an HD tuner.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
And i believe the price Jack quoted is in US dollars so your still talking 1200-1300 canadian

personally i think if your going to spend that much save some more and do it right, the toshiba 32HFX71 is really nice, and with the new models comming in you might be able to get one for maybe 1800 or so canadian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks