What's new

9/11 documentary edited? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
According to specs that I have read, the additional footage is more interviews with firefighters, EMT personell, Police officers etc...so it is EDITED...to include additional footage.;)
Another GREAT documentary coming out at about the same time is the HBO documentary In Memoriam: 911. This one is as good as the CBS 911 documentary.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am torn 50/50 about this releasing of 9/11 stuff on DVD. I believe it is important that these events never be forgotten and perserving the memories of that day on DVD is only a natural thing to do. However, the other half of me cant get over the fact, that they are selling these things to people, and someone, somewhere is making a profit on this.

That last unsettling statement aside, I do plan on buying one 9/11 documentary. I did not see either the HBO or the CBS special, so whcih one would be recommended to purchase?

Mike,
Couldn't agree more - if some of the purchase price of the DVD went to a 9/11 related charity it might make the purchase a lot easier in peoples minds.
Paul

John Simon

Second Unit
Tino:
Are you sure the In Memoriam: 911 is the HBO special? I thought I read that this DVD is only 60 minutes, but I thought the HBO special was 120 minutes. Am I mistaken about one of these figures?
Also, does anyone know if any of the networks plan to release a DVD using their own coverage of the events surrounding 9/11?
Finally, I really agree with some of you in that I'm somewhat hesitant to support these releases since they seem to be exploiting a tragedy. The flip side of that is that I believe we should never forget that day, and these releases are an excellent way to keep it in our memory. I just wish some of the studios would donate some profits to one of the 9/11 funds. At least that would ease the decision...

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
John,
The HBO special was 60 minutes, and yes it's the one called "In Memoriam: 9/11".

The CBS "9/11" special is still on my TiVo (yes, after all this time) so I'll be able to see if there are any differences. That one is 2 hours.

I'd also like to see that documentary on the WTC made by TLC released, but without the narrative references to 9/11. I thought they were very out of place.

Mike,
Each documentary is different in its own way. The HBO special showed footage many people took from the outside, and interviews of the mayor's staff. The CBS special focused on what happened inside. The TLC documentary showed how the towers were built, giving a fascinating story about what technology was used in their construction. The show about the building's collapse (forgot the channel it was on) gave a perspective about how high-rise buildings are built, and how the tower's unique construction helped it stand as long as it did, but eventually caused it to collapse. There really isn't one definitive documentary, and picking one isn't easy to do.

Profits should go to charity.

Mike

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I did see the one about how the Trade Centers were built. The one I saw was on Nova on our local PBS Channel 11. It was very interesting, but had little to do with 9/11. I think I will still get the CBS doc. Apparently Paramount is handling distribution for it, and I was told that it will be 1.78:1 16x9 enhanced, so thats what I'll be buying.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Folks,

Paramount is giving the proceeds from the
sale of this DVD to the Firefighters Scholarship
Fund.

It was never their intention to make a profit.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for this additional info Ron...this definitely means I'll purchase it....

I applaud you for finding out this information for us here on the forum.

nousername

Supporting Actor
That's interesting. I got the following message from Amazon.ca today:
Greetings from Amazon.ca!
We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:
"CNN Tribute: America Remembers"
Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.
We've cancelled this item from your order.
Please note, if you took advantage of a promotional offer when placing this order, this cancellation can affect your order's eligibility for that offer. To view the current status and the costs associated with your order, please visit the Your Account page at http://www.amazon.ca/your-account.
Your credit card will not be charged for this item, because you only pay for items when we ship them to you.
Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.
Thanks for shopping at Amazon.ca - we hope to see you again!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad, Allan. :frowning:
Just saw a preview of the CNN Tribute DVD on CNN Headline News. They say it definitely WAS released today.
I see your cancelled order was through the Canadian Amaz. site. The U.S. site says "ships in 4 to 5 days". Dang good price too! (But even better HERE.)
BTW....That CNN program runs 90 minutes (even though you'll be hard-pressed to find that stat anywhere on the Web). I heard this info on CNN, as they promoted the DVD.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Back to the CBS Doc hosted by Deniro (and forgive me if this was already mentioned) I recently read that DeNiro had been taken out of it. In any event, that's the one I'm gonna get. I was rivited. I could also put myself in the shoes of the camera guys, since that's what I do... albeit 3 hours North of NYC.

Ric

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
From Cnn.com
"A glimpse of a jumper was briefly shown on CBS last September 11, and the network quickly admitted it was a mistake. CBS' "9-11" documentary, which will be repeated September 8, contained the disturbing sounds of bodies upon impact but no accompanying video. More graphic footage was apparently seen overseas. "
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html
So more graphic footage apparently does exist.

Matt_P

Second Unit
I for one will be happy to own 9|11 on disc in any form. I am glad to hear there will be more interviews/footage included. I for one do not think including more graphic footage would change the impact of the film--its power is overwhelming as it is (just hearing those heartbreaking crashes is enough for me...I can fill in the blanks). It was a superbly assembled documentary that made a great impact on me upon first viewing (and every subsequent viewing). I think it's safe to say this documentary will be looked on as the definitive portrait of the events of September 11th, due to its firsthand nature.

Kudos to Paramount for donating the proceeds to charity. This will hold a place of honor on my shelf--a record and testament to those who tragically died and sacrificed; Something for my kids to see someday.

Out of curiosity, anyone have any reviews of the other 9/11 discs released to date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks