What's new

9/11 documentary edited? (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
I've been reading comments and rumors that one of the 9/11 documentaris will be edited for its upcoming DVD release.

Could someone please provide solid info or links about this because I cannot find it? I'm curious to know what's going on.

Thanks.

-g

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What have you been reading, where did you read it and which 911 documentary are you referring to?:confused:

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Probably the one that was broadcast on CBS (profiling the firefighters).

People are going to go overboard with this title. Everyone will want the "unedited" version (which doesn't exist). Over 100 hours were shot, and then edited down to 2.

GaryEA

Second Unit
This is a quote from Ron from another thread:
People are going to go overboard with this title. Everyone will want the "unedited" version (which doesn't exist). Over 100 hours were shot, and then edited down to 2.
There were rumors of an unedited version of this? I cannot imagine what more they could've put in.
-g

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If it is the CBS one, then it was editted for it's original airdate. To add the more graphic footage for the DVD wouldn't, IMO, be tasteful.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And BTW, "edited" doesn't necessarily mean scenes were taken out. It could also mean scenes were added in.

All "edited" means is that the program has been changed in some way.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, the only graphic scene was a body on fire in the lobby of one of the buildings. After seeing that (and I think filming it) the filmakers decided to no longer film those kinds of atrocities.

Personally, I don't need to see that stuff (aftermath).

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I watched this when it was aired, and I could be wrong, but I seem to recall, in one of the talking heads segments, him saying he didn't film it (the person on fire).

He didn´t film the woman on fire. He turned the camera away. He said this himself in an interview I saw on swedish TV. The only thing that was "edited" from the documentary was the sounds of people jumping to their deaths. This happened every 30 seconds or so but some of that was cut from the documentary.

nousername

Supporting Actor
According to several reports around that time, the 9/11 documentary that was shown on CBS on March 10, 2002 was slightly different than the one that was screened by journalists a week before it was aired. Apparently, some of the footage was removed because it was deemed to be exploitative in nature due to the repetitiveness of the images. (Here is one of those articles.)
Thus, the final version that millions saw on TV was approximately 120 minutes long, commercial-free. The DVD specs at Amazon.com however, indicate that it will be 130 minutes long, so if anything, it appears that the cut footage might actually be put back in.
I've got the DVD on pre-order, so once I get it, I will report back on the contents. I also taped the 9/11 special when it originally aired, so I'll have something to compare it to...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Actually, the sounds of the people jumping to their deaths WAS included in the version broadcast on CBS. The firemen intially were unsure of what these sounds were but soon realized sadly that they were "jumpers".

I remember one fireman saying something like "Imagine how bad it must be up there for them to choose jumping."

Horrifying indeed.

Tino:

Yes I know that the sounds of the people jumping were included, but according to Naudet himself they cut out alot of those sounds. But some was included I know. There were alot more "jumpers". All this is from the same interview i mentioned earlier.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, think that the sounds of the jumpers give the viewer a real sense of the horror of the situation. That documentary is an important historical document and must be preserved so that our children who were not alive during 9/11 can get a sense of why this event changed the lives of every citizen of the US. To soften it is to cheapen it. History is cruel, but without pain we learn nothing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was on the phone with Paramount the other
day and actually had no idea that this was
their title.

I am very pleased it is for the mere reason
that the studio will do a nice job with it.

As far as it being edited from what was broadcast
on CBS? Nope. In fact, it has additional footage.

Is that additional footage graphic? Absolutely not.

Hope this helps.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Ron. I hope you'll review it when you get a copy. I suspected there'd be additional footage due to the 130 minute runnig time listed at Amazon.com. I'm also glad the added footage is not graphic...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Can someone refresh my memory about the different 9/11 documentaries? Wasn't there one from a few months ago hosted by Robert DeNiro? Is this the one being referred to in this thread?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paramount is sending me a copy to review.

It will be up 11 days prior to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks