What's new

"9/11" -- CBS -- March 10 (2 Viewers)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I am a WTC "survivor". I used to work on the 1st tower on the 26th floor and was there when all hell broke loose.
I remember some firefighters going up the stairs when we were all trying to evacuate and that was hard, especially after everything was over and after you knew that very few (if any) of those guys made it.
I WILL be watching even though it's going to be very hard to relieve all those terrifying moments. But it's the least I can do for all those people who lost their lives.
You guys with "dilemas" on your TV viewing schedules should at least consider watching as well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Andres: So you were in the building when the plane struck? Could the impact be felt on your floor? Don't answer if you'd rather not. But you're the only person I know who was actually there. (Off-topic, I know, but this is interesting.) JB

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
It's ok Jack. I can talk about it. In fact, I should talk about it and that's what I do any chance I get.

Yes, I was in the building when the plane hit and I can't tell you how horrible that moment felt. It was a couple of seconds but it felt like an eternity. First, the blast was felt and then the building was swaying for a few seconds.

It was really scary.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Jack

I'm a 7 World Trade Center survivor (the building that was across the street that collapsed that afternoon - which some articles in NYTimes have recently said was due to the amount of diesel fuel stored in the building).

I worked on the 38th floor of that building and felt what was like an earthquake at the first moment of impact of the first plane. Talking about it , seeing photos, etc. does make it more bearable, and I will be watching the film on CBS.

Ive read its being sponsored by NEXTEL with very little commercial interruption.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You guys with "dilemas" on your TV viewing schedules should at least consider watching as well.
Oh, I fully plan to record it. But I may wait a while before watching it. Purely a personal reaction, but I don't think I'm ready to revisit that day just yet.
M.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I totally understand how you feel Michael. I feel the same way. I haven't been back there since it happened, almost 6 months now.

And it's pretty much because of the same reason. I'm not sure if I'm ready to see the disaster area.

By the time I'm ready, it's probably gonna be all cleaned up.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Andres -

Ive been back several times (I work 6 blocks away now) most recently last Friday. You may be too late. It already looks just like a construction site.

Go when and if you're ready, no rush , each person has their own schedule.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Larry.

My company relocated to Jersey City so right now I'm across the water and have "a great" view of the city.

The problem is that it's not so great anymore. How ironic.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is terribly fascinating, Andres and Larry. Thank you. And Michael: How far from Ground Zero do you work?

I must say that every time I look at an image of the new New York skyline, I wince. It's painful and heartbreaking not to see those mighty towers. In addition to a memorial, I hope they rebuild on that site--and build something tall, taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And Michael: How far from Ground Zero do you work?
About 6 miles. In absolute distance, it's very close. In terms of New York neighborhoods, it's worlds apart. If you don't live here, it's easy to forget what a tiny island Manhattan really is.

M.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I witnessed the horrifying events live from New Jersey; while I didn't witness the actual collapse of either tower (thank goodness) I only missed the first tower's collapse by seconds, and watched along the Jersey City cliffline as the pyroclastic-like cloud from the first building spread out through lower Manhattan and across the Hudson river...it's a sight I'll NEVER forget. I've been in the city many times since then, driven through the tunnels and ridden in the PATH train many times (it's creepy, looking at the new map on the train and seeing the spot on the map where the WTC destination used to be). I've purposefully, though, avoided visiting Ground Zero; I've no desire to see the area firsthand at this time. One of my best friends was coming up the escalators from the PATH train when the first plane hit, and he described to me the chaos that erupted down there. Andres' description of the building swaying was reported by several others; from that description and those of my friends who were there, I can only imagine the terrifying ordeal that must've been.

I will be watching the CBS special; it's a representation of one of the most significant events in US history, and its uniqueness (the only video footage known of any of the collapses while within the buildings) will make it an event itself.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I have full confidence, that CBS will treat this program with the full dignity and respect it deserves....

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I was just going to record this and watch it as soon as it finished, since it was on at the same time as Six Feet Under, and since the cable box for HBO is on my personal TV, and I dont have a VCR, I cant record HBO. But I was just reminded that SFU is repeated on HBO-Plus, so I'll be watching "live". I am very much looking forward to it.

From what I've heard, the only interruptions are for public service announcements, not commercials.

Brian

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I just finished watching the special. Overall, CBS did keep it's promise to present a non-sensationalist account of the event. It's an incredible coincidence that a French camera crew was filming the "breaking-in" of a probate at a fire station located so close to the towers. Even more incredible is how just about every fireman somehow managed to concentrate on their jobs under the kind of conditions that would easily break most of us.

It's a testimony to all members of police and firefighting organizations who love doing the kind of job where the next call could be their last.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Watching those planes choked me up all over again. The most gut-wrenching part was the sound of people striking the ground...I feel just awful typing this
I'm glad CBS showed the two brothers' film, and I was pleased with the presentation. The Firefighters featured in the film were just great.. real slice of life footage.

I think there are many people who can't get enough of 9/11. 9/11 left me yearning for more; I want to know everything that happened that day, I want to see every single photo and piece of film shot that day, I want to see Ground Zero, I want to talk to everyone involved, and I even want to know what it's like to re-live 9/11. Until I am satisfied, I'll keep praying and watching...wait till you see tomorrow's 32-day memorial lighting they have in store for the World Trade Center... it oughta be marvelous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks