What's new

"9/11" -- CBS -- March 10 (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Anyone who watched tonights Survivor probably saw the promo for this. Any idea what the footage is that they are going to be featuring? Or is it lots of different footage that they put together? Sounds pretty interesting in any case, I think I'll check it out.

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
There is footage shot by a documentary team that happened to be following around some firefighters on that day. They have footage of what happened inside the twin towers. It seems quite interesting. I'll definitely check it out.

Henry

VicRuiz

Second Unit
That is also the same team that got the only known footage of the first plane hitting. They subsequently followed the team of firefighters they were filming into the towers, and a lot of them didn't make it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I read an article in the newspaper about that footage, from what I read, it's supposed to be pretty terrifying stuff. Those guys were right in the middle of hell as it was happening, and they captured it on video. I will definatly be watching.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I really want to see this, but I'm struggling to figure out how to do fit it in with everything else that's being broadcast at the same time on other networks. It's a brutal night for competitive programming:

CBS: 9/11

TNT: SAG awards

Fox: X-Files (2d of 2 parts)

ABC: Alias

HBO: Six Feet Under (at least that's guaranteed to be repeated)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Apparently NYFD is going to use it (the raw footage) in training. I read an article a few weeks ago about this film. The writer had seen the tape. If the description in the article is anywhere close to true, much of it will not be shown.
There was one scene described that really disturbed me. WARNING - if you are squemish please do not read on. Some of the people on the film mention the odd sounds they are hearing outside (prior to the first collapse.) They believe sections of the building are falling off. Upon further investigation it is the sounds of bodies hitting the ground that they are hearing. At one point you see the Priest (I apologize, I forget his name) on film. A short while later you see his lifeless body being carried by some firefighters. (BTW, I saw an interview with a NY fireman that stated the Priest in question was killed when a jumper hit him. I've never heard that mentioned again.)
I hope that CBS handles this as tastefully as possible. I don't feel that something as horrific as this should simply be used to drum up ratings.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I'm debating whether I want to watch this or not.

The issue for me is, I can imagine the horror of 9/11, and it's a pretty excrutiating image in my head. I see the images in my minds eye, and the recall the memories of the day. It's perhaps one of the most difficult and gut wrentching nightmares my mind could think of.

I'm afraid that what I'll see on screen will surpass the images in my mind tenfold... and I don't know how I'm going to deal with them.

I'm not saying this should not be released - I think it should. The question is, do I need the message repeated and amplified once again? Do I need to relive the real-life experience from a first-hand perspective?

I think I'll sit this one out. I'll tape it for historical significance, but I don't think I'll watch it.

Moe.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
adam what is aotc supposed to mean. sorry if i dont memorize the titles of all the movies coming out but is it so hard to just type the entire title. are you trying to save space?

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
AOTC == Attack of the Clones

new Star Wars movie. The next tailer will be broadcast on Fox on the 10th...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The footage on this program, by those who have seen it, has been compared to the JFK Zapruder film as being the definative footage of inside the towers during the attack. I will most definately watch and tape this program.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I read an article about this in people recently. The two camermen are brothers. One of them was standing next to the FDNY chaplin when tower 2 went down. After the dust cleared he was dead. He speculated in the article that he must have been hit by a piece of debris as they were in the lobby of tower 1 when this happened.

They also mentioned that a different version of this will be on DVD soon.

Vern Sharp

Grip
MARK,
He was hit by a falling body while giving last rights to a dying Firefighter. I met with and spoke to one of the Firefighters,(Rescue 5) who survived, and he told us what happened. he stated that they had to "hug" the sides of the building to keep from being hit by the falling bodies while trying to enter the tower to begin rescue.
ADAM, if you read this, those guys gave their lives in the line of duty, so you can sit on your butt and watch x-files. That's what we do for a living :angry:
Vern

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Easy there, guys. Let's be cool about this. We are talking about a very, very sensitive subject here. Be respectful to one another.
I am watching the thing. But I am mildly concerned--this documentary had better be in the very best of taste. Perhaps the most respectful thing CBS could do is to air the program sans commercials. I would do everything possible to avoid any hint of exploitation--especially commercial exploitation.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I heard that Robert De Niro is hosting the special. Given his reputation and love of New York, I have high hopes that this will be a tasteful program. I plan on watching.

-Chris

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Perhaps the most respectful thing CBS could do is to air the program sans commercials.
The promos over the weekend said "Prented with limited commerical interuptions by Nextel." So maybe it will be like Schindlers List and only have two or three breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks