9-11 attack (non-political merged thread)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D., Sep 4, 2002.

1. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I've been wondering this for awhile...and perhaps there are some people here with firsthand experience.

On September 11, 2001, when all flights over the US were grounded, what would have been said to passengers? Would they have been made aware of the attacks that were occuring? Or would that information have been kept from them?

Just curious. I can certainly see the reason behind hiding it. If I was in the air at that time I would NOT want to hear what was happening.

/Jeff

2. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

They weren't made aware of the attacks until their plane was on the ground...

3. Ben Menix

Ben Menix Stunt Coordinator

Depends on what plane you were on, I think. Whether they were supposed to or not, the pilot on my parents' flight told the passengers exactly what happened (in brief, of course). However, they were flying into Vegas at the time, not New York, D.C., etc. Maybe that made a difference.
    Ben Menix
    [email protected]

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Since a number of people were made aware of what was happening via cell phones/etc, many passengers knew even though the pilots didn't tell them anything.

That is a big reason why the one group of passengers decided to rush the hijackers, since they knew they were dead if they didn't.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I have a friend and a cousin that are flight attendants with United. On my cousin's flight, the plane landed before the passengers were informed of what had happened. On my friend's flight, the passengers were told that the plane was being re-directed because of a "national emergency", a statement that would have alarmed the hell out of me. I would have wondered about some nuclear attack or something. As someone else mentioned though, word was going about the cabin from people that had cell phones that the planes had crashed in NYC.

6. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure my BIL (a left seater, with a commercial liner) told me he was not given any details, and there was no squawk about it.
    He was directed to land at the next 'alternative', no reason stated.
    When they de-planed the crew was taken into an ops area and told what was happening then.

Maybe different parts of the country that day had different levels of control over radio frequencies for each area.

My sister is in NY this week, and was not happy about going, she was there last, a few blocks away from the towers on 9-11.

7. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

My ex-boss was on the way home that day from Greece with his family and they were over the middle of the Atlantic at the time the announcement was made that a "national emergency" happened in NY. He had no idea what happened until after they landed ... that must have been a very tense few hours stuck in a plane.

They had the flight returned to Athens. Thank God they had enough fuel ... oh yeah and they didn't get a flight out of Athens back to NY for a week after that.

8. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I thought there was already a thread started about this, but I can't find it. Either it somehow got deleted or its on another forum. (If an admin deleted it intentionally, then oops, sorry.)
    Anyway someone mentioned that they were really dreading the upcoming week because of the 9/11 anniversary. Some thought nothing would happen because of all the increased security, and that terrorists would try hitting us on other days (ala 9/12). Others though they would try to hit us as often as they could, and the fact that they haven't means they can't.
    One of the points I made was that 9/11 would certainly be a hot day for potential terrorists. Seems I was unfortunately right (and the other poster was as well since these folks got stopped).
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe...ves/index.html
    Anniversaries are always favorites of the kooks. Oklahoma City was an aniversary of Waco. Columbine was an anniversary of some aspect of Hitler's life (can't remember what).
    I'm just glad that the police are on the ball. Hopefully any larger plots of 9/11 scale will also be foiled. I'm not dreading the day in particular, and will actually be in a very public place (Comdex) for most of it.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have merged 2 separate 9-11 threads into this single thread. Please keep all discussions civil and stay off the politics to avoid this thread from being removed. Thanks for your co-operation.

10. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I think today will illustrate a good example of what may happen across the country as well.
    http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=21325
    This is just across the street from where I work, and just a block away from the CDC. There are police, fire and hazmat crews scouring the place.
    My guess is that its a hoax rather than the real thing, but I would bet we'll get a lot more of them in the near future.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

buzz- I'm sure the pilots knew what was going down, I would guess that news travels pretty fast through company, or they were listening to AM radio on the ADF anyway.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Well I am. I have very high doubts that anything will happen. I mean it would be too predictable, and if anything the terrorists aren't very predictable. But I really don't want to wake up tomorrow to a phone call telling me to turn on my tv.

13. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Nope. I flew on the 11th last year, and I'm flying again this year.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

It is what it is. There are people out there who want to kill/hurt/maim me, as an American. As but one American, there is little I can do to change that. I'm fine with that.

So, to answer the question, no.

Todd

15. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    My Brother-in-law's plane was on the tarmac, returned to the terminal and they were deboarded and told that there were 'technical problems' with the plane itself. It wasn't until they were off that they were told what had happened.

Luckily he was qucik thinking enough to go rent a car and was home that evening. He was also quick enough to call my sister-in-law and let her know he was fine.

My friend from Germany was on a layover in I think Chicago (although he might have been rerouted there, I don't remember) and was stuck there for several days. He was waiting at one of the restaurant's or lounges and watched it happen.

16. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

17. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Sorry for the off-topic, but-
    Bill, do you fly on the P-3s? We (as a former fast-attack submariner) used to play Hide&Seek with those all the time. Ah, the fond memories I have of banging on the hull with a sledge hammer(literally), so you guys could find us![​IMG]
    Todd

18. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Todd,

Believe it or not the line is close to restarting but for now I just rebuild, refurb, depot and certify. I do however catch a flight test every now an then. Just finished a certain bird that China got a hold of.

19. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

As a New Yorker I wouldn't say I'm fearing tomorrow, more like dreading the media and phone call mayhem. People have already started calling me to ask if I'm okay, the local news won't shut up about the "anniversary," and there are helicopters and air patrol all over the sky.

I prefer to just go on living.

20. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

To answer the earlier topic, I flew out of NY that morning, about 8:30 my flight left. I was actually watching the skyline of the city about 8:35, 8:40ish. After it went out of view, I turned around and went to sleep. I woke up when the plane was landing in a corn field. I was supposed to be in O'hare. We were not told a thing until we landed. Finally, we were told "In case you are not aware, we are not in Chicago. Due to some events on the east coast this morning, the FAA has grounded all airlines. All we can say is that you folks are part of history."

It wasn't until we left the plane before any news came through via the airport televisions. And it wasn't until I went to the rental car counter that I found we were in Saginaw Michigan.

The airport was mess, and I had a girlfriend that was on her way to Trade Tower #2 after she dropped me off at the airport. The lines for the phones were at least an hour long, total mess. But everyone seemed to be helping each other figure out how to get home. It wasn't until later that evening that I found out my girlfriend was OK, as she didn't get there until after it already happened.

Anyway, that's my story about what was said on the plane that morning.

I am more then happy to offer a moment of silence for the lives lost, but I am highly disappointed with the media circus surrounding this "anniversary". I for one will always remember, but need to move on.