9.1 IIZ test dvd? also what to put on the walls?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by rickmar1905, Jun 10, 2010.

1. rickmar1905

rickmar1905 Auditioning

Jun 10, 2010
    hi all, iv joined this forum as i am stuck in my planning of a cinema room (if id done so earlier i would have saved a lot of money and not made as many mistakes) anyway im stuck with what iv got now.

iv got a conservatory that is brick and concrete tiled roof (like a house) that im setting up with 9.2 surround sound. its currently ready to be plastered but is there a best way to have it plastered, a NO NO way or does it not really matter?

im also after a good reccommendation of film to use for setting up the speakers for 9.2 dolby prologoc IIZ.

Thankyou for any replys. ricky
  2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino

Welcome to the forum. [​IMG]

A couple of things:

1) There is really no such thing as "9.2" surround sound. That's a marketing gimmick invented by the manufacturers. No movie soundtrack is recorded in "9.2 surround" and applying signal processing to split the two front channels of a 5.1 or 7.1 sound track into "high" and "regular" channels (matrixed, not discrete) and the ".1" sub channel into two (matrixed) "stereo sub" channels doesn't make it 9.1. Hell, most Blu Ray soundtracks aren't even encoded as 7.1, sticking with the old reliable 5.1 channels. (Although encoded with lossless compression or even uncompressed, which is not an option on DVD.)

2) Dolby Pro Logic II is a matrixed surround sound standard, not a discrete digital system, so even if there were true 9.2 surround sound, Pro Logic II would be incapable of delivering it.

I wouldn't use a film or any other program material to set up either the video or audio portion of a home theater/cinema. Program material is unreliable, because you can't really know how it is "supposed" to look or sound. What you want to do is use an automatic equalizing system like Audessy or a system calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials - HD Basics (Blu Ray) to tweak both picture and sound. Once that's done, I'm sure folks will be happy to recommend discs to show off both your picture and sound.

I'm not sure what to tell you about plastering the walls, as that tends not to be a technique used very much hereabouts. We tend to do studs and drywall. If you are literally using plaster, you'll probably want to run conduit and junction boxes to the points where you will be placing your speakers, then run the wire through the conduit before the work starts. Make the surface of the walls flush with the junction boxes. Then you can add face plates with binding posts for bare wire or banana plugs.