8VSB OTA problems with Dish 6000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimothyP, Mar 26, 2001.

1. TimothyP

TimothyP Extra

I posted this in the DBS section but realize it may be more appropriate here. Sorry for the duplication.
    I've owned and loved the Dish 6000 with OTA module for 2 months and had only minor glitches until yesterday.
    I'm now getting constant pixelation on all digital OTA channels whether they're broadcasting HDTV or not. The satellite HD channels work fine (HBO, Showtime, Demo) leading me to believe that the problem is with the OTA module. Analog OTA broadcasts are fine - when I switch to the digital sister channel is when I get the problem.
    Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions for a fix? Do I need a new 8VSB module?
    I'm a little panicked with the Final Four and Masters coming up - I must see these in HD!!
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I have not had this problem but you may want to check to make sure the fan is still working. It is possible that the fan broke and you have burned up the module. Who knows. I would try taking it out and reinstalling it according to the manual. If not, you may have to get a new one.
    C. Ryan

3. TimothyP

TimothyP Extra

Thanks for the reply. I listened and the fan is still running. I tried turning the power off and on - no change. Next I tried unplugging the unit for a few minutes then plugging it back in.
    MIRACLE OF MIRACLES!! IT WORKED!!!! I'm ready to watch the Terps stun the nation this weekend and then see every azalea blossom at Augusta next weekend. I'm stoked!
    Bottom line - if your 8VSB module goes on the blink, try unplugging your unit (not just turning the power off). Both the 6000 receiver and OTA module have their bugs but I still love 'em.
    Tim

4. Charles Dodge

Charles Dodge Auditioning

I am glad to hear your module is working again.
    I have had two Dish 6000 8-vsb modules die on me. The first one last two hours and went totally dead. The second one worked for about six-weeks and than started pixelating constantly on every over the air channel, no matter what the signal strength.
    Dish network has replaced both of them for me. I have now been using my third module for over two months with no problems. I would call Dish Network tech support if your module acts up again and tell them about your problem. It only took two days for the new modules to get to me.

5. JosephV

JosephV Auditioning

Charles,
    How is your reception of the locals in Atlanta? I live in Alpharetta and cannot pick up Channel 11 (on ch. 10). I can pick up the others with signal strength ranging from the high 70's to mid 80's. I'm convinced Channel 11 has a bad signal in my area, but I'd love to hear how you're doing! Thanks!

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Charles and Joseph,
    I was wondering what you guys are using for an antenna? I live out in Loganville (approx. 40 miles from downtown Atlanta) and was wondering if it would even be worth getting the OTA module. I'm not going to mount an antenna on my roof. I actually can pick up several local analog channels with a simple FM antenna connected to my TV, so I wonder if I really need a large antenna or not.
    Thanks in advance for any information!
    Brian

7. JosephV

JosephV Auditioning

Brian,
    I have a Terk HDTV60 mounted at the highest point on my roof. Since you don't want to use a roof antenna, why not start with rabbit ears and see what kind of reception you get, and then go from there? To answer your question, if you have an HDTV (assuming you do with the Dish 6000), I would get the OTA module. I watched the Super Bowl in HD and it was very cool. The final 4 and the Masters will also have HD coverage, so if you enjoy sports, give it a shot.
    P.S. Let us know what you do!

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joseph,
    Yes, I have an HD-ready TV, a Pioneer Elite 510. I've been waiting on the Dish500 dish to come in but the guy I bought my TV, Dish6000, Elite DV-37, and Salamander S40 seems to be dragging his heels! So right now I'm just using my old 300 dish. I'm about ready to tell him to send me back the cash for the dish and I'll get it locally since I'm going to get the install totally redone anyway.
    Thanks for your response! I'll let y'all know what I decide!
    Brian