8ohm speakers on 6ohm output?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Pacey, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Paul Pacey

Paul Pacey Extra

Jul 29, 2001

I am running a Yamaha RX-V800 with Polk Audio all round [RT35i's(125W) fronts, CS400(250W) centre, RT25i's(100W) rears], all rated to 8ohm with max. power in brackets.

Now, the Yammie has a switch on the back to change between 8ohm and 6ohm, and it is rated to 140W max. X 5 at 8ohm (so what, 90W rms?)

I just read Daniel_M's thread on "Ohm Question", but I have a couple of questions of my own:

Can I run my Polk's on the 6ohm setting?

Would I benifit by doing this? (clearer sound, etc.)

Would it put excess stress on the speakers or the receiver?

If necessary, could I amplify my speakers to reduce the stress on my receiver? And if so, how much power per channel would I need?

Do you think I should be running an amplifier anywayz with those speakers on my RX-V800?

I am only interested in doing this if it is going to give significantly _better_ sound, I don't want to run them at 6ohm just for the sake of it.

Thanks for any info/advice/thoughts on the matter,

Paul Pacey
  2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jun 12, 1999
    If you're speakers are 8 ohm, then use the 8 ohm setting on the receiver. The switch on the Yammies changes the power supply when hooking up speakers other than 8 ohm and will not give you any more power to your current config. There are some audiophiles around here, I am sure, who can give you a more detailed description of what the switch does than I can. I have had 4 Yam receivers since getting into this hobby (now with a RXV-1) with various speaker configs and always ran the switch on the 8 ohm setting.
  3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Feb 15, 2001

Chris PC Producer

May 12, 2001
    I think your receiver is like my amp. My old Technics amp is rated for 50 watts RMS into 8 ohms and 50 watts RMS into 4 ohms. Now, the amp should put more watts out into 4 ohms, but you are told to switch the switch at the back to "4 ohms" when running 4 ohm speakers. This basically limits the amount of gain or current the volume control will be able to induce in the signal. The reason this is done is because a 4 ohm load will cause the amp to clip because it can't put out enough current.

If you have 8 ohm speakers and you set the receiver to 6 ohms, that might result in lower volume, less dynamics and thats about it. You will in no way damage your speakers, unless it somehow makes your amp clip before it would otherwise clip, setting it to 8 ohms.

That switch generally prevents the amp from clipping due to lack of current.

Perhaps someone else can elaborate?