8ohm and 4ohm speakers?and other conundrims

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ian_Woods, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

thanks for the quick look hope you have an answer for me.
    I am looking to buy the swans diva 6.1 hometheater package to combine with my yamaha htr5590 amp.
    The floorstanders are 8 ohm while the surrounds are listed as 4 ohm ,the yamaha allows only a choice of either 8 or 4 not a combination of both (unless I a making a mistake) .
    Do I switch the amp to 4 ohm , will this make a differance to my sound and would this damage the speakers over the long run?

My other option is to forgo the rear surrounds by swans and rather use my wharfdales (240watts) as rear speakers ,this would also help with playing sacd's.
    I heard though that using differt makes of speakers in combo is not optimum but buying 6.1 floarstanders for the rear channel is out of my price range .I am desperate I need informed advice do'nt be shy give me your thoughts I am eager to hear any thoughts so fire away thank you

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Having 4 ohm rears and the rest 8 is no big deal- unless you like to play very loud. Setting the receiver to 4 ohms is safest and will not degrade sound other than giving up a little bit of the amp's headroom. Setting it to 8 ohms creates a small risk of overdriving the 2 rear amp channels- would only matter playing very loud with a source that had a lot of continous rear surround signal (like multichannel music).

3. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

I have been known to up the dbs from time to time so I think setting the amp to 4ohm's would be safest ,thanks for that. One down one to go ,what about having different brand speakers in the sme setup? By the way just got Gladiator and legends of the falls for $16 total what a deal.

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Timber matching the center and mains is the most important thing...can be critical even. However, using different surrounds isn't nearly as critical; especially if they are aren't direct-radiating speakers(bipolar, quadpolar, etc.).

It isn't uncommon to find setups with surrounds that do not match the rest of the system. Many people are able to integrate surrounds from another manufacturer with great success. Keep that in mind.

5. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

Mike thanks, that just saved me some cash . I was not happy downing my system to 4omhs so I guess my faithfull Wharfdales will do for the rears ,they certainly have no chance of blowing up .I might even get my wife to smile with this advice.