1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

8mm VCR (not camcorder) production Q's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I recall several years ago there was an attempt by manufacturers to produce home-use 8mm VCRs. I even recall seeing pre-recorded 8mm movies.

I'm a patent attorney. Right now I use 8mm camcorders to record my interviews with inventors. To play these back at intermittant times in my office, I have to dupe the 8mm over to VHS, wasting time and resolution. I'm wondering if enough of the 8mm decks are new enough to make seeking one out something reasonable to do. When did these 8mm decks get produced?

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

A recent B & H Photo/Video "toy catalog" offers a couple of Digital8 Walkmen. These are small-book-sized devices. One had a LCD screen. Both can play analog 8mm and Hi8 tapes (though recording is at best Digital8-only).

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Another possibility - purchase a spare Hi8 or Digital8 camcorder specifically for use as a "stays in the office" playback deck.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Thanks Tom, but I don't want to spend more than say $50 on a USED 8mm deck. I'm just trying to recall WHEN they were made.

5. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Dennis..

I bought one of those 8mm decks (Sony EV-S5000) back in May of '98. They had been out for several months at that point and I found an open box item at GG for $1200 (normally sold for $1500). This was one of their top of the line decks at the time but they also produced several inexpensive decks that went for around $400-600. You might find them on E-bay for a much cheaper price now, but I doubt they will go for $50 and under.