8K TV's?

Kevin Collins

Owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
I still haven't seen a reason to get a 4K TV!!! Now 8K? If this came to the US, how many TV stations would buy all new cameras to have 8K resolution? I wonder what type of compression they will be using? The MPEG group supposedly has finished specifications on MPEG-5.

Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications has laid out a timetable for the switch to 4k-resolution and 8k-resolution broadcasts.

The Ministry aims to be the world’s first country to broadcast in 4K-resolution in July 2014, followed by a trial run of 8K-resolution broadcasts by the public broadcaster NHK in 2016. NHK’s broadcast satellite service aims to have 8K in time for the 2020 Olympic Games.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The Ministry aims to be the world’s first country to broadcast in 4K-resolution in July 2014, followed by a trial run of 8K-resolution broadcasts by the public broadcaster NHK in 2016. NHK’s broadcast satellite service aims to have 8K in time for the 2020 Olympic Games.

wow hard to believe!! Bring it on.

Steve Tannehill

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh good lord. 8K? I am perfectly content with my 1.5-year-old 1080p DLP set.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Glasses-free 3D 8K in 15 Years?

Future Glasses-free 3D TV will Require 330 Mpixels Display Panels

According to NHK, 8K is the last 2D flat image format we will ever see. After that, all future formats will be 3D -and without any glasses- but the technology will require a very large number of pixels on the display panels, closer to 330 megapixels than to any lower value. We are thus awaiting eagerly the emergence of ten times better display panels. Don't hold your breath, it may take some 15 years..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34