What's new

$8k TV (1 Viewer)

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
If you had $8k to spend on a big screen 50 inches and up, what would you get? and no projectors

BrianKR

Second Unit
Just curious, why no projectors?

I am in the market for a projector and screen setup. I really want the size of a projector and screen although I recently auditioned a 70" hitachi LCD. It was pretty sweet looking set.

If I don't make up my mind soon on what projector / screen combo to get I might just pull the trigger on one of those.

When are they going to make t.v.'s 100"?
What is currently the biggest screen t.v. out now?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
BrianKR

Biggest screen TV out now = Mitsubishi WL82913. This has an 82 inch screen, with a 3 chip LCOS engine. About $14,000.

Artie

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY 50" plasma for about $4.5K, the HDMI/DVI blade (for the Panny), and a good up-converting DVD player (Denon 3910) and still have $2K left over.

-Steve

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you are going to spend that much, I'd wait for the new Sony XRD Qualia 70" 1080P to come down a bit. YOu might be able to buy one off the bat for around $8k but I heard its going to list for $10k. It was THE hit at the Cedia show in Indy this past year.

The XRD is basically a tweaked LCOS and 1080P native.

For a step down in cost, I'd consider something cheap until 1080P sets become a little more in the range you want to spend as 1080P is the wave of the future.

BrianKR

Second Unit
Thx Artie

I did some research on the Qualia and it looks to be an awesome set.
My only concern would be how long will the lamps last and how expensive will they be to replace. Lamp/bulbs for the Qualia (25 to 30k) projector are very expensive!

I am leaning towards picking up a Sim2 HT300e for now and wait for the prices to drop significantly before picking up a 1080p setup (2+ years from now).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
BrianKR

I guess those who can afford the $8500-$10,000 for the 70" Sony XRD, can afford to replace the bulb. My reading of the new delelopments on this model don't suggest that the bulb is real special. But you are right about the bulb on the Qualia projector, $4,000.

Artie

BrianKR

Second Unit

Call me crazy I guess but one of the biggest factors of my purchasing a Sim2 HT300e is the 8000 hour lamp/bulb it has. :b

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It had a great picture last I saw. The only issue I've seen is the average black levels and the motion blur. IIRC they were around $5k or so. I would have still waited for the 1080P sets to come down if I was spending that much but that's me.

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
ya, we bought it, but I don't see blur, I remember when we were looking at it last year it had blur, but not now. we paid about 7k, and I don't think my dad would have spent 10k on a tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks