1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

898-two thumbs up!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I just got my 898 yesterday. Hooked it up last night. Wow! Though I haven't put it through its paces enough to give it a full and proper review, So far, I'm pleased as punch.
    It pairs up nicely with my Studio 40s. Has plenty of power. Plenty of inputs. Easy to set up. Great remote (same as my 696). And a sturdy bugger, too.
    I'm planning on eventually adding a Parasound amp. I think I need to stop upgrading for a while, though. This upgrade bug is getting ridiculous!

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Congratulations [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Mongo like HTF

3. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Way to go, Palema!!!! Congratulations, girl!!!!
    I am so very much feeling you on the upgrade bug thing--especially with regard to Onkyo: my 797 will be brought home next month and I am looking forward to hooking that one up right here in my theater!!!! An amp will follow as a future consideration!!!!
    And glad to have you here at HTF, by the way!!!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

4. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Oops. Excuse the type, girl!!!! [​IMG] Way to go, Pamela!!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Agreed! The 898 is a very solid receiver. I am thoroughly enjoying my purchase.

6. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be pleased with it for years to come. I started the hobby with an Onkyo 535, and a couple years ago moved up to an Integra 7.1. Onkyo definitely makes a quality product.

7. Paul Chiappini

Paul Chiappini Stunt Coordinator

I’ve had the Onkyo 898 for a week now and figured it was time for a quick review. Overall, I’m very impressed with it. Previously I had a Sony 333ES, which I sold on Ebay a month ago to help fund the move to 6.1.
    To my ears the 333ES sounded amazing. Now that I have the 898 the 333 seemed a bit bright sounding. The 898 is more natural sounding with less high-end emphasis. I should also mention that the bass seems more defined (Polk PSW-1200 sub).
    The on-screen menus are very easy to navigate for system configuration. I was a bit unsure about setting some of the surround parameters, but that become clear later when I began using the remote during actual use. There’s one button that toggles the surround modes from DD, Neo, and DPLII; another toggles Re-Eq on and off. Re-Eq can also be used without the other THX processing.
    I did find THX useful. On some movies, like Jurassic Park, dialogue was more intelligible and the soundtrack wasn’t as bright. With more recent movies, one of them being Gladiator, I preferred to have THX off.
    Some people have asked me why I went with the 898 over the 797. Basically, I wanted that 7th channel of amplification for the rear. In my opinion, one speaker for the rear surround wasn’t going to cut it for me. The two speakers create a larger, more diffuse sound field. With the 898, 5.1 sources can be used with the rear speakers getting the same information that the side speakers reproduce. I wasn’t sure about this feature when I placed my order, but it does have it. With 5.1 the rear sound field is much broader than before. With 6.1 (Episode I and Gladiator) it’s great.
    I no longer have any composite-only sources, so I haven’t checked-out the composite to S-video conversion.
    The remote seems adequate. It’s easy to "feel" your way around it. I have a Radio Shack 15-1994 that I’ll continue to use.
    I did some local and on-line research about the Denon 3802. I definitely wanted to buy from an authorized dealer, and with this in mind, the Onkyo was only $100 more. The Onkyo also looks very good. I know it doesn’t have anything to do with sound, but I think it did play a part in my purchase decision.
    So far, I can’t think of or find anything that I really don’t like about it. I do think that it could have been a little more competitively priced.
    If anyone has any questions, let me know. I’ll do my best to answer them.

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks all! It's good to hear the positive reviews. Makes me confident I made the right choice. Can't wait to really play with this baby. I'm sure I'll have some questions.
    Tina-Thanks. Yes, the upgrade bug is an insidious thing. But, gosh darn, it's fun! [​IMG]

9. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Pamela,
    I have been enjoying mine for the last few weeks and I agree with you...I love it. It sounds amazing and is so easy to use. Now I just can't wait until my Signet LCRs arrive this week!
    Enjoy,
    Jeff
    ------------------
    My Homepage