850W for 200 bucks!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Hoppe, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

2. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

wow, anyone have any experience with this company?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've ordered from Musician's Friend (even returned the item with no hassles).

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Armen, you may have been asking about Nady, the amp's manufacturer. Reading the background info, it appears to be a legit company with a heck of a good reputation in the wireless mic world. It says their audio line (amps, equailzers, line conditioners, DSP's, etc) is new. Maybe Nady is selling to dealers at low margin in order to get sales and break into a market that is dominated by Crown, Crest, etc. Who knows? Mama always said if something appears too good to be true, it probably is, but, that price is very tempting.

BTW, did you notice that Musician's Friend has the Behringer Feedback Pro Destroyer for $129.99?

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's the fans that keep me away from inexpeinsive amps like these (since I know what a fan sounds like when it kicks in, I tend to avoid fan-cooled amps now).

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

is there any way of making the fan quieter, other than removing it??

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    There are a couple "fixes" that have been done to several fans of pro audio amps. The fidek fix is one. Placing a zener diode in the current path. With my Crown amp, I asked an engineer at crown if there was anything I could do to quiet the fan noise and he just sent me a lower current fan to replace for free. The fan is stil audible but much less than the old stock fan.

9. GaryM

GaryM Agent

I didn't see a distortion spec at those web sites. The time-honored way to appear to have more power than a competitor would be quoting a power rating without disclosing the frequencies where distortion was measured, the amount of distortion, and the conditions of test (all channels driven, etc.)

The second way to cheat is to disclose raw figures like 0.1% distortion, without mentioning that it's at 10 watt or less output, and the figure is 10.0% at rated power output. Or other variations on this theme.

The same comments apply to signal-to-noise ratio. Let me warn you that the typical difference between "Pro" equipment and consumer grade equipment is that the "Pro" audio stuff has higher distortion and lower S/N ratio than would be considered acceptable in a consumer system. (It also typically has more rugged construction and a higher purchase price than equivalent consumer gear.)

Gary

10. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Anyone know the damping factor for these amps? I didnt see it on the spec sheet.

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Probably we should try and get some real world feedback about these. The prices look a little too good. The specs are just a little to sparse.

Maybe Vince M. or one of the other pro sound guys could find out something regarding the amps and post here

12. Scott Simonian

13. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

If someone ordered this amp or has any experience with this amp, please let us know. I'm interested but don't want to have wasted money on a crappy amp.

14. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

anyone???

15. Scott Simonian

I guess someones got to buy one. [​IMG]

16. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

Nady makes a lot of wireless systems for musicians. Theyre supposedly pretty good, and musicians friend is definately a reputable company.

17. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

OT

Pat - love your signature. Describes the movie in a nut shell.