8300 with 4 Ohm speakers - add Monoblocks?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Garcia, Aug 20, 2003.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    OK, I ran the GR Research A/V-2s for about 3hrs last night (review coming next week), all by themselves, full range to get a feel for them and how hard the 4 Ohm load will push my Marantz 8300. It got quite warm, but not what I would consider "hot". It seemed warmer than it has gotten with my current speakers, which are 8 Ohm. This is just with two of these guys hooked up, and I will be running THREE of them as my front stage. Am I going overboard in considering this as a potential issue long term?

Should I consider one mono for the center, or two for the mains to alleviate some load or just not worry about it so much? I have a few hundred $$ credit I can use at my dealer so I could almost get 2 MA6100s for the price of one, brand new. The 6100s are 4 Ohm capable.

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I would have thought the 8300 could handle the 4-ohm load, especially set to Small for HT...

However, wouldn't getting just one amp for the centre channel be a little counter-productive, in that the monoblock might be of superior design (and slightly different sound) than the L/R channels of the 8300?

I thought you were a Mordaunt-Short guy now? [​IMG]

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I'd stick it out with the 8300 for now. If you get repeated problems with the receiver shutting itself down, then you might want to consider adding a 2ch. amp or some monoblocks.

If it doesn't shut itself down or give you any problems, I'd just keep it the way it is for now. Although, adding a few 6100's up front might be a nice little upgrade!! [​IMG]

4. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    I think you may have expected the Marantz to run warmer, so you thought it did.

Why dont't you put a cheap thermometer on it. I could be wrong but I don't think there will be much difference.

Peter m.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I ran it much the same last night, and it seemed to be fine once again. I did not run them quite as loud, and it did not seem to get as warm. It has not shut down at all, but I also want to get rid of that store credit, and there aren't many other things I need from an audio store right now. So it would be a nice little upgrade as well as alleviating the store credit.

I think one Mono for the center would be a little off. I am actually thinking 3 for the fronts, but I don't want to spend that much after just picking this receiver up.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Not a bad idea with the thermometer...maybe get one from a fish store...those stick-ons. Center channels 'seem' to be fairly demanding and that'd be the first place I'd stick a mono-block.