82" Mitsubishi rear screen projection tv

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Charles, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Charles

Charles Agent

Has anyone seen the new 82" Mitsubishi rear screen projection tv (Alpha WL-82913 Widescreen HDTV) in person?
    It uses Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) reflective LCD technology. I read this from the description on electronichouse.com/default.asp I am thinking of using this in my new home theater. If an even bigger set (100") is available by the time the room is finished next year I would rather use that as I like a big picture. I was planning to use front projector but if the technology for this size rear screen is going to be available in a production tv, I might wait and buy that instead. I know the price is going to be crazy at first but maybe it will be affordable soon. Any comments?

2. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I saw that set at CEDIA in September. It was awesome and huge! The picture was as nice as any display at the show plus LCoS is capable of displaying 1080i native. It is pretty sick that it's larger than my current front projection screen (70" diag). I heard the price is WAY out there though...I can't recall off hand but you should really look at front frojection and a DIY screen.

Randy

3. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

RANDY,

How do you like a 70" screen ?

I am thinking of a DIY at that size. Seating 9' to 10' away.

How is PQ ? Encompassing enough ?

My front wall is only 9' wide, so 70" to 72" is the max.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    You don't want a larger screen than 70" when you're sitting that close, anyway. Anything but the best reference quality material will probably look like crap when projected that large.

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Aaron,

Seriously ?

I would have thought at those proportions FP would look amazing ?

6. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

PhilBoy-
    16:9 or 4:3?

I've heard the rule of thumb for seating distanve of a 16:9 image is the width. i.e. if you have a 70" diaganol 16:9 image, its width is 61" - so you wouldn't want to be any close than 61" (or 5'). This is just a rule of thumb on the minimum distance. I have a 74" wide (84" diaganol) image and I have my seats about 7' away, so I would go with the diaganol size, instead of width, to set my seating distance (or 1.2 times the horizontal image).

just remember - everybody has their own preferences
    a setup that may work for one person, might not for another

7. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

PhilBoy

My 70" 16:9 HCCV screen is PLENTY big for my seating distance which is ~10'. It's actually probably a little too large for that seating distance but I like it. My girlfriend complained a little at first[​IMG] Plus keeping the screen size down a bit improves the brightness and punch of the image.

8. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

The screen will be 16:9 (what is 4:3?[​IMG] )

After doing the math for about a year now, FP seems the only way to go... Projector technology has made leaps and bounds in a very short time.

I watch mostly widescreen movies (no TV. nothing worth watching) at night, so after researching all the display technolgies, FP is the best for me.

A 72" diagonal screen by my calculations is the perfect size for me. So, for about $2 large I can get a good, quiet, 72" display that I can put in the mail and send it off to get fixed (if it breaks).

I plan to make a floor mounted console 7' to 8' from the screen and sit at 10'.

FP sure seems to be the way to go... RP (for me) is too heavy, expensive, limited, finnicky and from what I hear a real pain to move and repair.

I think I can live with the bulb cost.

9. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Home Theater store in Texas has the Mits 81" for a low price of $21K!! I think I'll wait...

10. Charles

Charles Agent

I know the price is not realistic at this point but it seems that technology will eventually make it posssible to mass produce 100"+ rear projection tv that is 2 foot wide and has all the bells a whistles making front projection obsolete. Creating a real home theater will be easy when that happens. Just need a few speakers and DVD/VCR and your ready to go.

11. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the list price is $21k. It also has to be assembled when it's delivered, as it comes in two pieces.

12. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Don't get me wrong if I had cash to blow I would look into getting one ;~) But in my home last year my new mits 65" was LUXURY hehe