80's Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Wayne Klein, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

For those that are interested in the 1980's vesion of "The Twilight Zone" I contacted the company putting it out(the name of which escapes me at the moment) and they have no immediately plans of adding it to the release schedule. Don't know how sales were but there was lots of complaining about the image quality (so much so that producer/writer Alan Brennert did a post at amazon.com to address the issue).

While the video quality wasn't always the best, the extras were truly great and made up for some of the image issues. I certainly hope that seasons 2 & 3 will eventually show up on DVD as both have their gems.

It looks like this will join the ranks of first seasons only which is, indeed, unfortunately as "TTZ" was edited in much the same fashion as "NG" without regard to the episode.

2. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Really? Wonder who you talked to and what they didn't know??

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3089

(excerpt)

03/12/05

Travel into the fifth dimension once again with The Twilight Zone, testing the limits of reality and exploring the mysteries of the universe. Airing from 1985 to 1989, this critically acclaimed anthology series carried on the legacy of the original Rod Serling program and attracted a brand-new audience of fans. The series features major stars in compelling tales of intrigue, and now the entire thrilling second and third seasons can be seen in their entirety! Audio Commentary

Release Date: 6/28/2005
    MSRP: $ 69.99
    Full Frame
    English Stereo
    6-Disc Set
    1,110 minutes

Honestly people... enough with the negative waves!

3. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam

Uh-huh. Yeah, there's a reliable source of information. Do some real homework next time.

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Hilarious. Worthy of the archives. And tvshowsondvd.com to me isn't even homework so much as it is classwork. Required reading.

5. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm to make breakfast go down...anyhow thanks to Rick P for passing along the info. Good to know that all the negative comments on the picture quality issue didn't impact seasons 2 & 3 being released. It got downright nasty for awhile there. My last contact with Image Entertainment (hey, I knew it would come back to me) was back in Feb at which point they didn't have any defintive answer.

Clearly I need to have much more time on my hands...

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Wow

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Wait, so you talked to Image in February, then posted your info here a month later? I'd expect a little sarcasm there, Wayne... especially when a quick glance at the Image website would have set you straight BEFORE you posted. [​IMG]

8. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

Actually Craig, I was just passing along what I had learned. As to why I posted it in March, if you'll take a look I just recently joined. I was expecting more info if someone else had heard it and an adult reply with courtesy. Whenever I've passed along new info or a correction to someone I don't know, I try to be polite (and practice common courtesy about it). That's all.

Anyhow, I'm off topic. As far as I'm concerned the topic is closed. I'm satisfied that the negative response didn't turn them off from issuing the product. Now that we know "Night Gallery" will probably be issued sometime later this year as well, I'll be a happy camper.

So we can stay on topic any other issues regarding my post are welcome to contact me at my email address [email protected].

Thanks again for the info...

9. Anthony Anderso

Anthony Anderso Auditioning

Okay, I emailed IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT on March 7th and got this reply back about future releases. I think I would trust the company actually making the product than any web site who announces a street date [​IMG]

ToNy

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately at this point in time Image Entertainment does not have any definitive plans regarding the release of Season 2 of the 1980’s Twilight Zone on DVD. We would recommend that you check out our web site periodically for any information regarding the future release of this title on DVD.

Thank you.

10. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

That's basically a stock response and they substitute key words in like "The Twilight Zone". They don't actually do any checking for you, which is bad. That's why I don't even bother e-mailing the studios anymore (except for Criterion, who is pretty good to respond and share info).

TV release-wise, Gord and Dave are much more reliable and have better contacts than half the people charged with the task of answering these e-mails. If they aren't more informed they're at least willing to give you the info they have (as long as it's confirmed or very reliable info, that is).

The best way to find out about stuff is to play the waiting game and watch tvshowsondvd.com, thedigitalbits.com & participate in the HTF chats with Warner & Fox.

11. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

Anthony, thanks for the info.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it does, indeed, have the street date that was posted.

As to your listing of titles you'd like to see on DVD I read this at Tvondvd back in Feb. You're probably already aware of it but it does bode well for the second season of
    "Twin Peaks". I'm hoping that the release of the pilot in the US comes to pass (the Region 0 Taiwanese copy I have is ok but suffers from the format conversion and seems to run a bit fast)-

"In our last Twin Peaks news item, we passed along information about how Lancelot Narayan, one of the industry's leading producers of DVD bonus material, had been engaged by Paramount to work on extras for the studio's upcoming release of Twin Peaks - Season 2. That was some great news, and we know we're going to get a great product out of Paramount for this highly anticipated release.

But not everybody was so sure. In that previous story, we found ourselves mentioning bad rumors on the 'net that claimed the stuidio had no interest in taking the time to remaster the the 2nd season's negatives in the same fashion as Artisan remastered the very-well-received first season. Our response at the time was: "Our take on this right now is that this is unsubstantiated...We find it hard to believe that they will fail to bring this in at their usual well-done standards. " Well, it looks like we were correct to keep the faith!

Dugpa.com, a leading website for information about David Lynch and his works, had the following statement in regard to these rumors:

February 3rd 2005
    New Transfers for Twin Peaks Season 2 ?!!!
    I have just received information today that has confirmed that Paramount has decided to go with new video transfers for Twin Peaks: Season 2 DVD set. It appears that the information I had received from Paramount Germany was old information, as they had planned on releasing the Series on their own shortly after their release of Season 1 on DVD. Now that Paramount is doing a worldwide release, all territories under the Paramount branch will be using the same transfers for the Season 2 box set. Great news indeed!!! Now we'll just have to wait and see if the new transfer is up to the same quality as the Season 1 set."-

I agree about "Logan's Run". I have a hunch that MGM is waiting for the release of Bryan Singer's remake before putting them on the market.