80's compilation sounds absolutly horrrrrrrrrible

Discussion in 'Music' started by Aaron Howell, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday I picked "Hit me with your 80's box"( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...75152?v=glance ) and while the compilation is good, the sound is horrible. It is VERY fatiguing to listen to.

I forget what the test is called on Sheffield's "My Disc", but it's where the music seams to sounds good, but kills the dynamics. Compression maybe??? I mean, I can hear the little details, but it just hurts my ears. The synthetic drum beats are horrid.

I can only turn the volume up to half of what I usually do cuz it is recorded so loud. Do they use originals in compliations? Are all 80's songs recorded like this??

I don't know what to do. I like the music but not the sound. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Get a different boxed set.

I've made my own compilation 80's CD's and I'm about to make #'s 26 and 27.

It's probably just a crappy compilation.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

The label ("Hip-O Records" [​IMG] ) almost certainly didn't have access to the original master tapes.

4. Chris-V

Chris-V Stunt Coordinator

Quality on third-party label compilations is notoriously uneven. Some are better than others, but it's tough to say whether any individual compilation will be good or bad.

I've also taken to making my own compilations (carried over from cassettes I started making years ago...how times change:) from the original discs or high quality compilations I've come across from time to time, as well as the odd high quality download. More labor intensive, but definitely worth it in terms of quality. [​IMG]

5. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Ya I read the Hip-O thing on Amazon. [​IMG]

The cd box has a big Geffen Records on the back.

Lesson learned.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Funny this thread came up....within the last couple of weeks, I ordered two 2-disc 70's/80's compilations myself. I found the following title, 80's Replay, to be very good. The tracks were DSD-remastered by Sony Music and was released by Sony Music (Asia) and EMI Music Asia. I really can't make a comparison with the original since I don't have the original. But they sounded good to me....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can order it here.

The other 80's compilation I got is Music of the Millennium II from Virgin/Universal/EMI. Looks to be a European release. The image I scanned came out too dark [​IMG]

If you notice from the above links, you can get each of these 80's compilations for $10.00 if you order another $9.99 selection from yesasia.com. That's how I got mine.

****Sorry about the bad image from the scan. I am blaming this on PhotoBucket.com. But the links above will have the track listings.****

7. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey! Maybe we could do some trading! As I said, I've got a ton of stuff, NONE of it mastered from mp3's. All from the original cd's. Maybe we could help each other out with our "want lists!" [​IMG]

8. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

...in before the lock [​IMG]

9. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

Whether they used the originals in these compilations won't matter. It's all in the mastering that makes it so loud. Look at just about any recent re-mastering release of any album. Chances are that the original master tape was used, but the dynamics are so squashed by a digital audio workstation setup just to pump the average volume up higher that all that's left is a shrill and harsh mess.

And, no, 80's songs were origianlly recorded like that. I have many 80's LP's and original issue CD's that sound wonderful. I know that many think those early CD's were thin sounding, but with the right setup, they do shine nicely. Out of all the CD's I've got, very few of them are really that thin.

And, looking at the song list, I've got about half those songs on LP or early CD.