What's new

802.11b wireless suggestions [cheaper = better] (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,
I'm in the market for a wireless solution for my home. Not worried about file transfer between PC's, so 802.11b is fine with me. I'm considering the following routers:
D-link DI-614+
Netgear MR814
Linksys BEFW11S4

So far, the D-link is "in the lead" because I can get it through tigerdirect (refurbished) for $45 - $15 rebate. They also have the matching notebook card for $30 -$10, so I could end up paying around $60 after shipping & MIR's. Are there any known problems with these? Any "gotchas" buying refurbished?

My only requirements are range (router in den on 1st floor, laptop in 2nd floor bedroom) and VPN (PPTP) support. Would all three of these fit the bill? I've tried to find a comparison test on the web but so far haven't been able to find anything.

Of course, links to places that have these (or others) for cheap would always be appreciated!

Thanks!

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I have the Dlink DI-714P+ , basically the same thing with a print server. I'm very impressed with performance and range (sorry I don’t have the cold hard numbers to back that up yet). I have it setup in the basement to cut down on the exterior range and have no dead spots in the house. VPN works perfect from home to work (using SafeNet).

The 614+, 714+ etc.. is an 802.11b enhanced router so that you can get 22Mbps (realworld is 5 - 6 Mbps). The DLink (provided you use their Airplus card DWL-650+ ) provides 4X support (44Mbps).

The 614+ already has a firmware update for 4X mode and the 714P+ had it released the other day in the States. Still waiting on the CDN update. :frowning:

That's a proprietary mode but if you're the only one on your network, who cares? That’s almost 11g for the price of 11b. :)

On the refurbished question...I couldn't say I got mine new...with rebates for $70 CDN and the card for $54CDN...sweet deal.

I have a friend with Netgear and they carry a great rep for overall performance and customer service. I think you can buy high gain antennas for Netgear routers.

Linksys is hampered apparently only by it's range, which is supposedly the weakest of the three. You can buy a signal booster but that's an extra purchase.

Cheers,
Gord

Brett_H

Second Unit
Guys,

I'm writing this from my living room, using the D-link 650+/614+ combo. I ended up buying locally because tigetdirect screwed me on the rebate(it was there when I placed my order, I ASSumed that it was legit, but after ordering I discovered that it expired on 9/30). F them, I cancelled the order and hit up the local Micro Center over lunch. Ended up paying $112 with tax, but I've got it all set up and it's pretty sweet!

The only problem I'm having is signal strength: the router is in the den, which is an addition off the back of the house. The laptop gets around 60% strength in the living room, but drops to 40% or lower up in the bedroom. I can still surf, which is really all I was interested in, but was hoping for a little better strength. Oh well....

Thanks for the opinions, I appreciate them!
-Brett.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Seems that D-Link has an awful lot of antenna choices. It may be a matter of getting a stronger antenna. Once you start going through walls, the performance will degrade.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Adjusting your antennas will make a difference. Not huge but it does matter, try playing with your antenna positions as well.

cheers

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Linksys is hampered apparently only by it's range
Really? I must just have a good area to work in then...

I have the 802.11b BEFW11S4. I have no problems using it all over the house, and even over at the neighbours. In fact, I went over to a buddy's house about 9 doors down the street, and was still able to get a signal. (A slow one, yes, but a signal nonetheless.)

Works like a charm!

Just make sure that whatever system you use, you secure it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks