What's new

802.11b Repeater? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Here's a question for all you wireless networkers. My cable modem connection is at one end of the house and the wireless router is located nearby. My HTPC is on the opposite side of the house and I can't get a reliable network signal.

What options do I have (other than moving the router and HTPC closer together)? Is there a repeater or similar device available that I can put between the two?

Thanks!

-greg

John Capozzi

Auditioning
You can purchase $100-$150 Wireless Access Port (WAP), and set it to repeater mode. Just about any of the major brand WAPs will do this, it's one of the key functions of a WAP.

Usually you can change the settings via the direct USB link, it's pretty straighforward, you just need to match up the channel, group ID, and encryption key if you're using one, move it to where you want it, and you are done.

Hope that helps.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've been looking into this - if your access point has a hookup for an external antenna, that's a good option. Also, various brands of NIC cards have better luck than others with signal strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks