802.11 connection to HT (for video & audio)?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kurt_U, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

Does anyone know of a way to use an 802.11 network (preferably 802.11g) to transmit audio and video to my home theater? I’m not interested in transmitting anything back to the computer, so this could be a dumb connection.

There are several devices coming to market (Philips, Sony and a few others) that will add another component to your home theater that will allow data transfer both directions. However, these devices are either wired connections or 802.11b. The problem with 802.11a and 802.11b is that these just don’t have enough bandwidth to handle video very well.

These devices also send the files to the HT component and the component does the decoding of the file, so you are limited to certain codecs and file formats.

I know this can be done by putting a computer behind your system and transmitting wirelessly to it and then connecting it (via a wired connection) to the HT. This is often loud though, and many of us (myself included) simply don’t have room for this.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

2. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

3. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

I posted this question on several other boards and finally got an answer. It appears that today, you are not able to connect your PC to your HT with a wireless network (e.g. 802.11a, b or g), but soon.

But, I did find something that DOES WORK. There are several products on the market that work over 2.4Ghz and transmit audio & video that do work. Here are the links to two of them:

$79.99 First Alert 2.4GHz Wireless Video Sender
    http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...at=&e=11205400

$69.99 DVD Anywhere by X10
    http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk53a.htm

I just picked up the First Alert from Best Buy and it works great. I had some interference from my cordless phone at first, but I changes the video system to another channel and now it works perfectly.