$800 to spend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francisco_C, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

I have about 800 to spend on a new t.v. thanks to my wife.. i was looking for one with 16:9 squeeze. any advice welcome and thank you in advance.

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

As I have posted in other threads, as far as I know the only sets that do the "squeeze trick" without going into the service menu of the set are Sony, Samsung & the flat tube JVC's & there has been some debate on some new models of Samsung's still having it. What type of set are you interested in, Flat Tube, Regular Tube & what size tube? If your looking for the most bang for your buck I would say it's probably the 36 inch regular tube Samsung which can be had for under $600 with the squeeze trick but it's a hard model to find otherwise with the squeeze trick it's the 32 inch flat tube Sony or the 32 inch flat tube JVC at around $800 Another option might be the 36 inch regular tube JVC at around $800 which can do the squeeze trick but you must use the service menu to do it.

3. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

I am looking for a 36inch i guess regular tube would be the only one i could afford. Do you happen to know the model number on the samsung? or any of the others you mentioned.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Pretty sure the model number for the Samsung 36 inch is TXL3676 but I can tell you now that this set is a HARD SET TO FIND. Try calling Samsung 1-800-SAMSUNG maybe they can tell you which stores in your area might have it. If they can't press for the phone number of their local distric manager & give him/her a call & see if they can help you out. As for the other tv's try the companies websites. www.sony.com or www.jvc.com for the model numbers.

5. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

The info from Samsungs site for 36" tv's says nothing about 16:9 squeeze. They do mention a "zoom" feature to get rid of the black bars in letterboxed movies. Best Buy has a 32" Sony Vega (KV-32FS13) for $900. I have the 36" version of the Sony. The 16:9 enhanced option is awesome. You don't want to buy a tv that you have to go into "service mode" everytime you want to use the 16:9 option.

Randy T

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Randy, for some reason Samsung never listed the "Squeeze Trick" in their features but I do know for a fact that the 27 inch & up sets does have this feature & I've had other people tell me that "ALL" Samsung sets 20 inches & up could do this squeeze trick from the menu & remote. If I worked for Samsung in their marketing department that is a feature that I would of really played up seeing not many other sets on the market can do it. K-Mart had a 32 inch Curtis-Mathis set that was made by Samsung & was the same as as a 32 inch Samsung but "WITHOUT" the Component Video inputs & even that set could do the Squeeze Trick which sold for $399 so I would guess that it's a pretty standard feature for Samsung.

7. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I am having a Samsung Tantus DynaFlat HD TV monitor with 1080i input TSL2795HF delivered tomorrow and am looking at the information on the system. What wording would it have re: this "squeeze trick"?

Also, what is a DTV receiver/decoder?

Thanks much,
    Shana

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Shana, I don't know what Samsung calls it but your set does have the Squeeze Trick. I'm sure if you read the Samsung owner's manual you will be able to find out what it's called. If you want to know ahead of time try a seperate post asking that question & I'm sure a bunch of Samsung owners on this board will reply. A DTV Receiver/Decoder is a seperate box like a cable box that you hook up to your tv to receive HDTV Channels. Also Congrats on your new tv & I'm jealous because that's the set I would like to own. Also if you would like more info on the Tantus set try www.hometheaterspot.com there is a lot of info over there on it & enjoy your new set & post a review on it letting us know what you think of it.

9. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. Bill. [​IMG] I think I got a good deal on the TV, it was a grand opening sale at the Ultimate Electronics in Dallas. Was $599
    I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Shana, that's a "GOOD" price [​IMG] for the set. The cheapest I've seen it was around $650

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    For the record, K-Mart sells a 32" Curtis Mathes TV which has a 16:9 compression mode; it costs less than $500.