800? Or 1-800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Van Dyke, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Why is it that all these companies tell you to dial 800-XXX-XXXX? Whenever I have dialed one, it's always 1-800-XXX-XXXX.
    I know, it's stupid, but I've always wondered why they don't just say the 1 before the 800.
    Thanks,

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

not all the companies tell you to dial just 800, and i believe there are parts of the country where you just have to dial 800. but i think most of the country has to dial 1-800, and as far as i can recall, i haven't seen a 800 commercial in a while, it's all been 1-800.

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    1 is the long distance calling country code for north america. It's implied whenever you are calling long distance. It just happens that the 800 (and others) area code is a toll free long distance call. It doesn't cost you anything but is still long distance, and the 1 is still implied.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

Also, many folks are switching over to cell phones (which don't require dialing 1 for long distance).

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    1) "1" is not the country code for North America, "01" is, and you don't use a country code when dialing domestically. The two have nothing to do with one another.

2) "1" is an access code that tells the phone system (in most areas) that you're about to dial a long distance number. It is not part of the area code or number you are dialing. If you live in Washington, D.C. you are in area code 202, not "1202". In most of the U.S. you did not have to dial 1 for a long distance number until about 25 years ago, when phone companies began upgrading their equipment, and competition for long distance carriers was being introduced.

So the "1" isn't a part of a phone number, 800 or otherwise. Some advertisers assume their audience is smart enough to dial "1", if needed, for a long distance number without being told to, and leaving it off doesn't confuse the people who don't need to. Others figure they'd better state the "1" so people don't forget to dial it.

With pagers, cell phones, etc. proliferating, many areas are running out of phone numbers and introducing 10-digit local dialing to alleviate the problem. You'll dial numbers within your own area with the area code but no "1" and those outside it with "1+ area code + 7-digit number"

Regards,

Joe

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    That's more like what I meant Joseph, good answer!

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Perhaps they don't say "1" because it is generally understood that "1" is a given. For example, don't you have to dial "1" anytime you dial outside of your own area code? I know this is true for domestic calls, not sure about internationals.

8. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

+1 is the country code for the USA and Canada, no other countries.

Other countries have country codes that look similar to the usa country code plus an area code, but they are different. Eg: Bahamas is +1 242

To dial internationally from a regular phone you dial 011 then the country code +93, eg: 011 93 20 xxxxxxx

To dial from the newer cell phones you can use the plus instead of 011, eg: +93 20 xxxxxxx will work. This is a GSM standard to make your phone book work from any GSM country.