$800 for an audio/DVD system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Quincy, Dec 5, 2001.

1. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

At the suggestions of a fellow memeber here, I wanted to start this thread looking for advice on a new home system. My budget is about $800 and I am looking to get some equipment to setup a home theater system. I need a DVD player, Reciever, and surround sound speakers with a sub. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

John

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

One of your best bests is to get the Kenwood HTB504 and a Panasonice RV-31 dvd player. Those should run you around $600 or so total. Get the Sony SA-WM40 sub and you should be good to go for a while.

3. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Thomas_Berg recommeded the following:

Kenwood VR-507 Receiver

Panasonic RV31K DVD player

JBL NSP-1 Surround Sound Speakers

Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer

Are there any downsides to this setup? What about THX? IS it needed or a waste of money? Thanks.

John

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

On a budget of $800 don't worry about THX. You can't afford it. Also, whether or not it makes a positive difference is highly questionable (I believe that it can in some cases, but many see it as a useless marketing scheme).
    I really like that setup that Thomas put together. My only comment is that if you don't mind going with factory refurbished gear, check out the offerings at www.harmanaudio.com and www.pioneerdirect.com for some good bargains. Often these sites have factory refurbished merchandise or older model year stuff on sale at SIGNIFICANT discounts.
    The Sony sub is a no brainer. I like Panasonic DVD players so that's a nice recomendation (also look at Pioneer and Sony). The JBL speakers are well regarded as well. Personally if I was shopping I'd be happy with all those and a higher end refurbished receiver from Pioneer or Harman Kardon.
    Check out This Harman Kardon Receiver.
    I would probably buy this sub instead of the SONY.

5. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Thomas, I have two questions for your:
    1. Best Buy for the Sony sub, they have it for $199 right now... Was yours on sale or a Rebate?
    2. The Kenwood VR-507 - You said you found it for $250, the lowest I can find it for is $250. I tried pricegrabber and dealtime. Any other sites you would recommend to search with?
    Thanks for any more suggestions you guys can give me.
    I need to talk to my wife and see if she wants to spend this much... It's supposed to be a Christmas gift for the two of us [​IMG]
    John

6. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Something else came to mind, I noticed that the RV31K by Panasonic does not have Progressive scan, but their DVD-RP56 does have this feature for $50 more. Is it worth it and can I justify this?

Thanks,

John

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Progressive scan is helpful only if you have a High Definition TV or are planning on buying one. It will make no difference at all on a regular NTSC television set.

8. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

OK. I will eventually buy a HDTV, it's just a matter of when (1 to 2 years). What about the VCDs? I heard that the 56 doesn't play them, but the 31 does? Is this true?

Thanks,

John

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

On the VCD issue: dont worry about it. Unless you are into pirated copies of movies from Asia you just wont want any VCD's. Now a DVD player that plays MP3's might be another story.
    You should also go check out another site: www.cheaphometheater.com . They specalize in finding good, but inexpensive equipment.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I agree, don't worry about VCDs. They are sub-VHS quality and are not popular in the US.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The JBL sub does not go as low as the Sony, even for the price. Both have plenty of slam, but I'd give the Sony the nod.

You didn't say what your mains are, so nobody can really tell you what to get, as they should be relatively matched to the mains (would be nice anyway).

For receiver, I'd say Onkyo TX-DS494 (595 would be better) over any Kenwood in that price range. Or Marantz SR-4200, Denon 1802. Much more worth their price, though they will cost a bit more (worth it).

12. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

John Garcia - I don't have anything right now. I am building up from ground zero. The only old equip I have is an older TV (25") and a Panasonic VCR. I need recommendations on speakers, sub, receiver and DVD player. Hopefully I can get all this around $800-900. Thanks.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Remember, though you can get more for your money with buying separates, that's not to say that the HTBs are all junk. Lots of them are actually pretty darned good and cen be a good place to start.

14. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Does anyone know if the Kenwood VR507 will take 12 gauge wires? I want to run some cables about 35 - 45 ft to my surrounds. But I also want the thicker cable 'cause I can get it from partsexpress.com for like $30 for 100'. Thanks.

[EDIT]

Another question:

What speaker wire would you use for the SA-WM40 subwoofer by Sony? Would you use the same 12 ga for the other five? or do I need a special cable? Thanks.

[EDIT]

15. jacek p

jacek p Agent

John,

Go with Toshiba SD3750 DVD player (progressive, VCD, MP3 playback) instead of lower-end Panasonic; can be ordered for 170-180 plus shipping.

I started from zero recently and now I have:

Toshiba SD3750 DVD player $169

Kenwood VR509 Receiver $289

Pioneer S-DF3-K fronts $159 (check Consumer Report on this one)

Pioneer S-DC1-K center $99

Pioneer S-DS1-H surrounds $79

Sony SW40 sub $149

This put me behing a grand but the sound is great.

BTW, sub is connected by a RCA mono cable which can be had for a couple of $. Do not buy one for 50$!!! 14-18 ga speaker wire should be sufficient for other speakers, unless there are very far.

Cheers,

16. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Now both of these DVD players (Toshibas and Panasonic) have Component video connections. Is it better to get a good cable for this? or do I just use the one that comes in the box? Thanks.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

18. Joe_Rego

Joe_Rego Auditioning

Hi, folks, this is my first post . . .
    I also just bought the HTB-504 and the Panasonic DVD after doing a lot of research (Consumer Reports, S+V, etc). If you're looking for good pricing, try www.etronics.com if you are outside of NY State. Their site has good search and compare ability, their prices are very good ($384.99 for the HTB-504 system, plus shipping) and unlike some other sites I've dealt with they seem to be honest about what's in stock and what isn't.
    My only concern is with the quality of the video connections. I'm hooking up to a Mitsubishi wide-screen RPTV which has component video jacks, and I notice that the Kenwood receiver doesn't. Is it worth it to bypass the receiver's video connections and go direct from the DVD to the TV, or should I just use S-video cable throughout?

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Here is what I got for my playroom system:
    1.Toshiba SD-6109c DVD Player / Receiver ($200 refurbed) Look Here
    2.JBL NSP1 Speaker System ($299)Look Here
    3.Sony WM40 Subwoofer ($139)Open box special from BB
    YRMV. Good Luck and Have Fun!

20. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    John- sorry i havent stopped by here yet! ok here goes...