$800 floor standers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Hi all. I am looking for a good set of floor standing speakers in the $800 range. I currently have BA VRM50's and will switch them to rear use when I get floor standers. I like to BA sound, in perticulare the VRM series. I don't like Klipsch or any horn loaded speakers and Paradigm is not for me either. Becuase of a relative I can buy VRM-80's for around $800 and am trying to compare them to the competition in the $800 range. My current list of speakers to audition is B&W's, NHT's, Dunlavy(hopefully), and JM Lab. If you know of any speakers you think deserve a listen at this price point please point them out. I'd love to hear from all of you on your thoughts.

Thanks

Nick L

2. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

how bout Axiom's M60ti? I have them and i'm very happy iwth them.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'll put in a nod for the mirage frx-7. i currently use these speakers but i intend to upgrade to thiel cs2.3's one of these days. hell, by the time i pull the trigger, it'll probably be cs2.4's [​IMG]
    kevin t

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Nick, i too love the Boston sound, that is all I own. The vrm50's that you have retail for 1000$ they will make darn good surrounds. Most people i know use them for their mains and love them. If you can get the vrm80's for 800$ I would jump all over that deal. considering the msrp is $2000 you are getting the deal of a lifetime!! They are beautiful speakers and sound even better. they have the Lynfield tweeter plus two 5 1/4" drivers. the wood finish you can get with them is gorgeous as well. Couple those speakers with a good sub and you will have one hell of a system. plus they will match perfectly with you surrounds because the 50's have the same tweeter and i think the same driver. All you will need is a vrmc center to complete the package [​IMG]. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I'd say, with the deal you are getting on those speakers, the fact that you like the BA sound, and for the fact that you'll have matched speakers all the way around, I think you know the answer as to which speakers to get. [​IMG]
    Aaron