800.com - shipping and service question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, Aug 3, 2001.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Hi all,
    I've looked around the internet, pricing the upcoming Emma Peel (Avengers) mega-set, and found that 800.com has the best price - $119.99.
    My concern is this; 16 discs bundled in a box set could become a nightmare if the company is lousy with shipping methods. Has anybody ordered from them and can attest to either good or bad shipping standards (i.e. packing, boxing)?
    How is their customer service as well? I'm so used to Amazon.com that I feel like I'm entering foreign territory. Any words of caution or praise would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -g
    [Edited last by GaryEA on August 03, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

2. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

800.com is an excellent online retailer for DVDs. They have yet to mess up a shipment of mine. Which is something I can not say about Amazon.com or Buy.com. 800.com usually gives you street date delivery, which is excellent. I hate preordering something and having to wait after the street date to recieve the item. Their standard (cheapest) method of shipment is USPS Priority Mail 2-3, which, at $2.95, is somehow less then what the Post Office actually charges. A simple search on DVDpricesearch.com will reveal that their prices are among the lowest. BTW, did I say they are in Oregon? That means, read my lips, "no taxes." Most of my online purchases are from 800.com, unless they are significantly cheaper other places, or I have a GC at Amazon. Otherwise, it is 800.com all the way. There are people that say that 800.com has billed them before shipping on preorders. This hasn't happend to me. 800.com gets all ten votes from me.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'd agree that 800.com is really good, but just don't order limited edition items from them. Their packing has been fine on the many orders I got from them, and CS is really good too (800 number, real people, helpful).
    I'm kinda pissed at them today over a limited edition order they ended up backing out of, but other than that they've been really good.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I stopped using 800.com for pre-orders because I use a debit card and they *always* do the credit authorization on the order when you place it, which is just as good as taking payment before shipping. (A credit authorization basically puts a hold on the funds... which is fine if you're using a credit card, not if it's your checking account). Buy.com is the same way. Amazon doesn't, which is why they get all my pre-order business (with a coupon the prices even out).

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've been pretty satisfied with them in the past. I don't recall ever having a problem with an order from them. Also not that it matters that much to me, but I like their packaging, its very eco friendly. They stuff the box with inflated plastic bags rather than styrofoam peanuts. Seems to work pretty well, and is easy to dispose of.