What's new

$800 budget: 5 new speakers? (1 Viewer)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
So, I'm considering upgrading my speakers. I currently have the original Energy Take5 satellite speaker system, and am wondering if there's anything out there that would be a significant upgrade, that I can get for $800 or less, including tax, (or shipping if out of state, CA) or tax+shipping if mail order in state.
I just bought an SVS 2039pci, so the sub is taken care of. :)
I've considered the AR15's and the AR2C center... but am just not sure. I'd like to consider something I know a bit more about, or can at least audition.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Take5 seems to get good reviews, and the 5.2 got a very good review from Home Theater mag. I'm not a huge Energy fan though.
For that $$ you could get Axiom Audio M3Tis (4) and a VP150 center for ~$800, including shipping (but check the outlet there are some deals there).
You should also be able to pick up a Paradigm CC370, 2 Mini Monitors and 2 Titans for surrounds for a little more than $800 msrp.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For $50 more you could get the ceramic nOrh 4.0 package. The nOrh teak 5.2 video package goes for $750. It goes for $850 delivered and sounds wonderful! You may be able to find some used 4.0s at www.harmonicdiscord.com.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
JBL Studio series would easily fit in that budget as well.

If you can build the enclosures yourself there are many options that will go well beyond what you can find commercially for $800.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions...
Dustin:
I don't really care for JBLs... at least I haven't in the past. What models specifically were you recommending? I don't really have the time/tools to build DIY speakers.
BryanZ:
Those Norh's look pretty impressive (performance/price), but I don't think I care for look of them too much... but then I just got an SVS so what do I care about looks? :P
John Garcia:
Are Axiom's available online only? Or do they have a B&M store presence? I have been REALLY impressed with other people's Paradigms over the years. What's the difference between the Mini Monitors and the Titans, and why one for main and the other for surrounds? Just curious... the specs/numbers seem pretty similar.
Thanks again,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems to be kind of tough to find B&Ms that carry Axiom, but there are a few out there. I didn't notice if there was anything on their site regarding dealer/distributors, but I found one in my local area, and actually demoed the M3Ti in my setup thanks to an HTF member who brought a pair over.

The difference between the Minis and the Titans is more or less in the drivers, and possibly the crossovers. The Minis are noticably better than the Titans, but also cost quite a bit more. This is nearly the setup I have, except my mains are Monitor 5s and have 3 Titans out back. The Titans blend well enough with the Monitors to be used as surrounds, and for the price, they do the job just fine. Bass response for the Titan is nearly identical to the Minis, but the Mini has better definition for music.

Comparing the Mini to the Axiom M3Ti, I would probably choose the M3 due to lower price and similar, if not better, performance. Also, with Axiom, you can order a single M3Ti for a 6.1 setup.

The Mini V3 just came out, I compared V2s back to back to the M3Tis, and the V3 Minis are a bit better than the V2s, IMO. I have a pair of Minis (V2) also, in my bedroom system (they were my surrounds for a while, but the Titans fit the bill when I needed two sets), mostly because they are better at music.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Hmmm... What are you referring to by Mini V3 vs. Mini V2? I don't see any reference to V2 or V3 for Minimonitors on the Paradigm site.

Thanks,

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Kieran,

I second Justin's suggestion,

Try to audion anything from the Studio series, it is very good for the money, I know there are better brands than JBL in the market, but for the price, you cant beat JBL, but if you had $1000+, I will tell you go with something else like Paradigm, klipsch or Axiom, but for $800 or less I think you cant beat JBL.

Try to audition

S center = $ 150
S38 $280 (pair) = $560
Or four S26 $170 (pair) = $340

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
S-Center, guess for what :p) S26, S38 or S312 (little over kill with a good sub) for mains. S26, S36 for surrounds.

The JBL Studio series from my auditioning competes just fine with the Paradigm Monitor and PSB Image series, but can be had for a bit less (a lot less in the US).

He meant MiniMonitor Version 2 (discontinued) and MiniMonitor Version 3 (just released)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For some reason, there is no mention of V3 on their website, but if you go to the dealer, they are already carrying them.
Forgot to mention that the OLDER JBLs sounded like a$$, specifically the HLS series, but the current S or Studio series, is not bad at all. I've auditioned 4 S26s and an S-center with a 25-31PCi (Thanks to "Mr JBL" himself, Phil :D ), and it sounded very good, and cost quite a bit less than $800.

jay lemons

Agent
The Paradigm Mini Monitors and the CC-370 are GREAT sounding speakers. The dealer in my area just closed out the V2 and now carrying only V3 in the Mini Monitors and the CC-370.

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
ill third the jbl studio series. u can get s38s for 280 on jandr.com free shipping and s26 for 159 and s center for 160 i think...excellent speakers for the money

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I would add the Athena Technologies Audition Series speakers, especially the AS-B2's for mains and AS-B1's for surrounds. The AS-C1 is the center speaker. These speakers can play very loudly without distortion.

Sasha_G

Agent
I think its a little out of your price range for just the main left and right speakers, but I just had to blurt this one out. A musician friend recently introduced me to the Mackie HR824 studio monitors, and I was blown away. Incredible sounding! I wonder what others here on the forum think of them. We played them in a medium sized room and they filled the room nicely. These are real studio monitors that musicians use to mix music.
They are about $750 for a pair, and both are self powered with amps on the back. You might be able to get some used somewhere. Worth a look. I've read shootout on the net comaring it with the Genelec (sp?) monitors, and it outperformed them.
http://www.mackie.com/Products/HR824.asp

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Dustin,

I'm sorry I misstype your name, the J for the D.

I was just trying to second you opinion.

Once again I'm sorry for my mistake,

Pablo Abularach

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Wow, Sasha. Some of those numbers are impressive:

38Hz to 20kHz ±1.5dB

The HR624 is flat ±1dB from 55Hz to 20kHz.

The HRS120 is flat to 21Hz ±1.5db and just 3dB down at 19Hz…

Sasha_G

Agent
Yeah, there VERY flat, and I think they even certify each speakers as being flat.
Not only that, the Mackies play very LOUD also, with low distortion. I've read they go up to about 120 db without serious distortion levels, and in the medium sized room they blew us away. It was off the hook :)
We paired them with a $450 VTF-2 and set the high pass on the Mackie to 80Hz, even though they go down to 40. There are something like three high pass settings built into the back of the amps on the Mackies. That way, the Mackies were freed up from bass duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks