$800 - $1000 for receiver - advice needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shane Morales, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

What receiver, between $800-$1000, would you match with the Swan 2.1's (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-b...der/SW2.1.html). This setup would be for 90% music, 10% HT (so it needs to be at least 5.1).

Currently in the lineup: Denon, Onkyo, and (going beyond the $1000 upper limit) Rotel.

Please help! Thanks.

-Shane

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

in the under $1000, I would be looking at a NAD T762 and a H&K 7200...

The NAD T763 is supposed to be coming out soon, might be worth it to wait...

on the NAD, here is an authorized dealer for under $1k

http://saturdayaudio.com/

on the H&K, email me and I'll tell you how to get it for under $1k...

also, a good consideration is the marantz 7300OSE, supposed to be very musical...buts its also not on marantz's website, the new 7400 is though, which has an extra powered channel at the least...i actually hate marantzs website.

however, I would recommend the Rotel 1055 over all of them for the following reasons

1) no fans, NAD has fans (possibly the H&K, the newer ones do, not sure about the 7200)
    2) Rotel only has 2 receivers, and they don't put out new replacements every year like the other brands, therefore they update and concentrate on maintaining their outstanding receivers. the 1055 has received many updates, which you can do at home if you choose to.
    3) Best customer service from dealers
    4) arguably the most musical
    5) best build quality (better than the NAD and the H&K at least)

On the things better about the other recievers (major items only):
    1) all provide 6+ channels of amplification, the Rotel only does 5 (nad and marantz 6, h&k 7)
    2) all of the other amps are rated with more power, though not sure I believe marantz's ratings, i do believe the NAD's and the H&K's
    3) H&K has significant proprietary DSPs, the NAD has some as well
    4) all of the other recievers multi-channel in is 8 channels, the rotels is 7 channels (not sure that matters as the format is 6 channels, dont know of a sacd/dvd-a with more than 6 channels)
    5) the rotel has the least amount of digital inputs
    6) the 7300Ose has amplification for zone 2 speakers,

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would recommend the HK AVR-7200 for around the $1000 range.

SoundCity has one for $995, and I don't think I could think of a better flagship reciever for the price. It includes everything you need, alot of power, and alot of features... not something you find in most recievers at this price. Check it out.

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I have to also go with the H/K. It's unbeatable for the prices you can it for online. You may want to check with harmanaudio.com for great (fully warrantied) deals on that receiver. They change the receivers daily so keep an eye on that site if interested.

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Denon [email protected] about $800,Hk 7200 at about 1k,if music matters you better listen before you buy.Some 1k avr's do not do music very well,the Denon a nd HK do,imho.

6. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

7. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

8. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

my friends T761 (cant speak about the 762) has its fans on a lot and he doesnt run it all the time, I agree they are not loud, but you can hear them, slightly, during silent passages..

its also another worry in terms of build quality...

Rich

9. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Having a fan in your components is just an easy thing to go wrong. Fans certainly have a lifespan and fall easy prey to dust. I personally would not buy a component with a fan, for the sheer fact that how come other manufacturers can do just fine without one?

10. DarrylM

11. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

My moon equipment runs silent, no fans, completely enclosed with ZERO grilles. It does JUST FINE without them, as do many others. It is just smart engineering.

12. DarrylM

13. DarrylM

14. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

My Sony DA4ES has huge heat sinks. I think NAD can use a larger enclosure if they want to eliminate that fan. Look inside the T762, you will see that its packed with components, not much space left.

15. DarrylM

16. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Somehow this thread has veered away from suggestions toward a discussion of heat transfer and the laws of thermodynamics and their merits as applied to electronic engineering.

For the original poster, I think you may be putting too much budget toward the receiver. I have Swan's Diva 4.1 mains, 2.1 surrounds, and a C3 all being powered very well by a Pioneer Elite 43TX. I bi-amp the mains using the back surround channels (nice feature of the 43TX) and don't think my receiver is lacking in any form or fashion. My next upgrade will probably be 5.2 mains and then I'll be set for awhile. The 43TX is great for HT and holds it's own for music. The $500 price tag when it was discontinued was great as well.

Since you mentioned music as your #1 priority I would consider the HK and Denon. The 7200 from HK may be a mis-allocation of funds and the 525 would probably be more in-tune at around $500 online. A refurbished Denon 3803 from ecost would also be a great choice at $530. Hopefully you can find somewhere to compare the 2 and some other options and see what you like best, but throwing twice the speaker budget (assuming you just have the 2.1s as mains and nothing else) into electronics really isn't the best way to maximize audible benefit (most people suggest 2:1 speaker:electronics, not the opposite). If you go w/ a receiver in the $500 range you can take the other $500 and get another set of 2.1s or some R3s for the back which would most likely make a much more audible difference if you watch movies at all or listen to high-res multi-channel audio (DVD-A and SACD).

Hope this helps [​IMG]