80% of MSRP on Denon 4802 at B&M ... good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Eberhardt, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

May 8, 2001
    I just picked up the Denon 4802 from the local SoundTrack store for $2000. They had it listed on the shelf for $2499 while they were trying to phase out the old 4800s for $1699.
    I really wanted the 4802 and had a printout of some places on the internet where I could get it for around $1800 delivered. The salesman gave me the standard lecture about authorized dealers and warranties and said the best they could do is 10% off which would make it $2250.
    While the salesman went off to do something else, I sat down with my internet listing and wrote on it my name, SoundTrack credit card number (I had bought my widescreen rptv there 7 months ago), my phone number and $2000 + tax = $2120. I figured I would give it to the salesman and tell him to call me if he could give me a better price.
    On the way to see the salesman, the manager came up and asked me if he could help me. I showed him the paper and told him (and here is the part I like) that I would, "Walk out of here today with it if he could give me a good price." So he went to his computer, punched up my account, made a phone call, and said "ok, we can do it."
    And to make the deal even sweeter, he put the purchase amount on my card at no interest for 12 months. I figure the interest I saved will go a long way to making up the difference in price between them and the internet.
    So... did I do good?
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Mar 4, 2001
    David Fischer
    Sounds like a good deal for the 4802. I've just got a comment on the store credit card based on experience.
    In the US, with store credit offers (12 mo / 0% interest), if you have multiple purchases, from different times, your payments are spread across all the debt, and not put specifically towards the one which has the earliest finance end date. The result (the purpose, really), is that if you're not paying attention, you will have not paid off the earliest item, fail to meet the finance terms, and be charged full back interest.
    It may vary from place to place, but I've seen this happen to relatives. Take care with the store credit, and make sure you understand the payment system. Otherwise your saved money is lost, and then some.