1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

$80,000 to spend on audio equipment SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff MK, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

2. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

My assumption at that price range is that this isn't the kind of person that wants to tinker with his technology.

The most important thing will be to find a local A/V company that will provide him with the quality of support that he expects. This tends to mean buying the products that they SELL....not necessarily the best products. Support is an important factor if you aren't a techno-weenie (which most on this list are).

Personally, I would look at a single-vendor solution such as Meridian. They can provide transports, processors, and speakers that are definitely considered high-end.

There's no doubt that you might be able to do better if you compare component to component but it's hard to beat Meridian as an integrated solution.

3. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I 3rd the rec to hire a professional to design the room so as to get the most of the room. $20k in electronics will sound better then an $80K setup not acoustically treated!

Now time to spend HIS money:
    Processor: Mark Levinson No.40 $30K
    Amp: Levinson No.436 (3 for mains) $6600.00 each, Pair of Proceed HPA-2 $3200.00 ea for side/rear surrounds.
    Speakers: Revel Salon $18K, Revel Voice $5K, 2 pairs of S-30's $4400.00, 3-Revel B-15 subs 2500.00 ea.
    Ayre Dx-1 DVD/CD player $8000.00

Misc Cables $4K

Total $81000.00!!!

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

now you know, if he got his money by listening to martha stewart stock tips, he just might need that money for legal defense!

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

3 words.. DIY
    If he can't then he should hire George Lucas and his people to help design a home theater that will set a new standard in THX certifications. [​IMG]
    Perhaps Called: THX Ultima or THX Grand

6. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

7. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I hear Yorx makes one hell of a system. I think you can pick one up at your local Family Dollar store.[​IMG] :b [​IMG]
    Phil

8. Geoff MK

Geoff MK Extra

Hi,

Guys, thanks for all the input. This is not just a joke thread, my friend's new house is being built as I write this reply.

He lives in Palos Verdes, CA, in LA county. Are there any reputable audio/video professional shops I can recommend to him? Truthfully, I am not at all familiar with stuff in his price range either (my ht cost only $5,000).

Thanks.

Geoff

9. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Hey Geoff MK,

I would suggest he go around to some of the local custom installers, and ask them what they might install. Then post the results here for comments. Like I said on another board, $60k of gear professionally installed will probably sound better than $80k of nice retail gear DIY'd.

10. Geoff MK

Geoff MK Extra

Hi,

It's me again. I saw my friend's new house's blueprint the other day. I think calling in a professional to design the room would be too late, as the design is already drawn out and the workers have started building it already.

I think he would need to focus on room treatment and equipment at this point of the game, right?

By the way, some info about his new house: on approximately 1 acre of land. 6 bedrooms, 5 baths, 4 living/family room, 6 car garage. Total cost: over 3 million.

11. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Geoff, does the $3 million include the land or is it just the construction and permits. Sorry, I'm curious and nosey!

12. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Geoff,
    I didn't mean to offend with my "yorx" comment. Most of us are not even in that range. My HT set-up has run about $10,000, over time. I only wish I had that kind of lettuce to put up at once to build a system, damn.
    None-the-less, he needs to go to a hi-fi shop and ask for someone to come out or at minimum review plans. If indeed the house is in the construction process they may make subtle changes that can be handled by "change orders" that could be the difference between a good sonic room verse a room that is not as functional.
    With a house in the 3 mil range don't worry about change orders because he will be used to it anyway by the end of construction.
    Phil
    YORX ROCKS!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

At this point in time the house needs to be wired right by an electrician for both high voltage wires and low voltage wires. Including all possible upgrade plans.

14. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I agree with Phil.
    Not only should he be able to make changes as it's being built, but he will be able to incorporate those costs into his mortgage.
    Things like specific types of sound insulation or double sheetrocked walls...running wires and interconnects within the walls, dedicated electrical, A/C and heating control and insulation, etc. should all be able to be done WHILE they are building, not after. It will save him some serious room treatment money in the long run.
    As far as that much money is concerned, it is time you take him out for some high end auditions. I would look at B&W, Wilson, Meridian, Krell, Tag, Lexicon, Levinson, etc. $80k is a lot of money...but these projects can get into the half million dollar range quite easily, especially with the room treatment and pro install labor costs. You may be able to eliminate some of those costs of you have some talents in the HT area. Set yourself and your family up for many years of free entertainment at your buddy's place[​IMG]
    Jeremy

15. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Geoff,
    At this level, they call this type of construction a "Media Room" in which wiring, gear centers and surround speakers, automatic room darkening drapes, front projection and a screen etc. are built-in, as Jeremy indicates The kind highlighted in Home Theater Interiors type magazines. Is your friend up for this? Where is he in this process? Can he come over and look over your shoulder for this discussion? Is he the type who, after much "friendly" input goes out and gets B*se anyway?[​IMG]
    This can be an exercise in futility here! What does his wife want?
    But as I often say, it's fun to spend other people's money.
    You do say "he is building a dedicated HT room" so I second the idea of a professional installer.

16. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

Would somebody here want to beat that $80K budget?
    Do I hear $100K? [​IMG]

17. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

At the Home Theater Store in Southlake TX they have a complete theater room setup with a price tag of $250,000. It is a truly amazing room with over 60k in wall treatments alone. They have 2 or 3 fiber optic systems in the ceiling with some ceiling treatments that I could not do justice to in words. If anyone in the Dallaw/Ft. Worth area has not been to see it, I highly recommend it. Some of the gear includes B&W Nautilus 804's the new Runco VX1000 and a stack of McIntosh components. I forget what kind of seats they had but they were 4500.00 each. I was day dreaming too much to really pay attention to what equiptment they had in there. I just know it was exactly what i would want in a theater room and way out of my budget.

18. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

19. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Can he have them leave the media room unfinished?

Sure the dimensions may be set already, but any professional media installer will want to be able to layout their own wiring, install their own electrical outlets, build their own reinforced walls, etc., etc. If the construction crew finishes everything prior to media installation crew then he could be looking at some wasted money more than likely.

For equipment I'll throw in my 2 cents worth:

Processor: Theta Casablanca II (17k)
    DVD/CD Transport: Theta David II (8k)
    Amplifier: Theta Citadel monoblocks (16k)
    Theta Dreadnaught 5ch (6k)
    Speakers: Front L&R Joseph Audio 33si (8k)
    Center Joseph Audio Cinergy (1k)
    Side L&R Joseph Audio 7si (2k)
    Rear L&C&R Joseph Audio 7si (3k)
    Subwoofers: Audio Physic Minos (5k) L&R speaker lvl connect
    4 SVS CS-Ultra subs in corners (4k)
    Speaker Cables: Cardas
    Interconnects: Cardas
    Digital Interconnect: Marigo Apparition 5.5 (BNC)

With cables and taxes will be hovering at 80k total for a lovely 8.4 speaker system.
    Theta and Joseph Audio team up for conventions so should be very synergistic.

20. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator